Author Topic: Lost of all windows icons  (Read 9283 times)

hewee

Re: Lost of all windows icons
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 07:27:35 AM »
Yes I have PhotoImact Pro version 10.
I have PhotoImpact version 6, 7, 8 and now 10 without any trouble.

But hey I think it is a fixed now.

I have Zone Alarm Pro so can make backup and do restore of my settings.
I made a backup on the 5th so did a restore. But it had AVG listed because it was before I installed Avast.
So I had made a new backup today before doing the restore and then went back to the way it was.
But the "Use PhotoImpact Album to create CD/DVD slideshows" was not listed so it did not restore it.
But under program control for "avast! antivirus Update" it points to the very same thing that the "Use PhotoImpact Album to create CD/DVD slideshows" was. But now it is listed under the right name.

Glad things are listed the right way now.
=================================

What all things of Avast needs rights that are listed by Zone Alarm?
I got these here...
All with ? have to ask and the others have rights.

avast! antivirus service - ?
avast! antivirus Update
avast! e-Mail Scanner Service
avast! Web Scanner
Splash screen for Avast! - ?
Virus scanner - ?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 08:30:29 AM »
I glad that you seem to have things sorted out. 

ZA (when I used it) had a tendency to get confused when program updates happened (like in avast).  Sometimes it would ask for new permissions and sometimes not and just block access.

With the default connection setting of avast ashServ (I believe) will issue pings to try to detect the network (and ZA will ask you to allow it or not).  If you set your connection setting to either "permanent connection" or "dial-up connection" then avast will not need that pinging permission in ZA.     

hewee

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 09:00:26 AM »
Glad it turned out OK too.
Odd the ZA restore did not restore it like it was but guess it seen doing the restore that it was not pointing to the right place and fixed it to use the right program name like it should of done in the first place.

I know with AVG and A2-free I have gotten updates where you have to OK them again because the version number changes but most times the program name is the same.
But have had even the programs change also with both AVG and A2-free but it was always easy to deal with because I knew what program it was.
But this time bringing up the PhotoImpact is something that has never happen in the 4 plus years I used the ZA Pro or before that when ZA free was all they had because I have used ZA from back when they first started.

I have cable and the setting of "permanent connection". But my router and ZA settings is not going to let them ping me unless it somehow can ping.
But the avast ashServ is the program listed in ZA as... avast! antivirus service that right now is set to ask but it has never ask.
Just like the Splash screen for Avast! that is set to ask only ask when I do something that I forget right now. I think when I have the scanner window open where you see Avast with what ever skin your using and I click to get a update from there then ZA ask if I want to let "Splash screen for Avast!" (Ashavast) run.

Mike Buxton

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 11:48:40 AM »
Hi hewee and all Avast readers and writers,

I may have a workaround, if you can minimise Avast to the Task Bar without losing your icons; try using the freeware "Task Killer" whilst it is still on the Task Bar.

My regards
W98SE user.

Mike Buxton

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 01:09:51 PM »
Bump.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 03:23:15 PM »
Bump.
Why? Do you need help? Were you asking if your workaround work?
The best things in life are free.

Mike Buxton

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 03:54:49 PM »
Hi Tech,

Thank you for your response . I have, as a W98SE user, been with Avast Home for a few weeks.

I am delighted with it and after considerable help from this excellent Forum my only problem was
that many icons disappeared after a scan.

The workaround is perfect for me and I am only keen for hewee and other users (and even the
developers) to see it works for them as well.

My regards

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 01:44:20 AM »
my only problem was that many icons disappeared after a scan.
Seems, indeed, poor memory management of Windows 98.
But the icons will be back on next boot ;)
The best things in life are free.

hewee

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 11:35:43 PM »
I will try it Mike and if it does not work then a reboot will work.