Author Topic: Email Clients  (Read 8247 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Email Clients
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 10:50:18 AM »
Just a couple of observations.

Almost all mail clients still default to "delete mail from the server" in POP. That's the way it started out when POP was created (long, long ago) and space server space was precious.  The wary user needs to make sure to select the option to "retain mail on the server" or risk finding it has all gone after the first download.

There are quite a few free IMAP offers now. Two of the larger services that come to mind are Gmail and AOL. 

janpoko

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 10:59:17 AM »
Just a couple of observations.

Almost all mail clients still default to "delete mail from the server" in POP. That's the way it started out when POP was created (long, long ago) and space server space was precious.  The wary user needs to make sure to select the option to "retain mail on the server" or risk finding it has all gone after the first download.

There are quite a few free IMAP offers now. Two of the larger services that come to mind are Gmail and AOL. 

And please, do you have some experience with more than one IMAP connectet to the mail client?
Does it not interfere somehow?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 11:07:51 AM »
I have multiple IMAP accounts running with Thunderbird along side a rather larger number of POP accounts without any problems.

janpoko

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 11:42:06 AM »
Thanks for that info.
I see that based on my experience with M2 I falsely supposed there might be common problems with multiple IMAP which you prove to be untrue.

Just out of curiosity: why do you still keep some of your accounts POP3ed?
Is it because provider does not provide IMAP or because there are still some problems?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 06:26:28 PM »
It is I think more convenient to organize folders in your comp only and download and arrange the post from several addresses there, than to do it on several servers, where you would have to reflect any change in disposition in all of them. For that reason and after many tries I selected POP3 as my protocol and I am very satisfied with it.
In gmail, it's also very easy to set up folders and save your mail according to their subjects.
With the amount of storage they supply, you'll most likely never run out of e-mail storage space. :)
(Provided you use it strictly for e-mail)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 10:43:10 PM »
Whereas if you were using POP3 all the mail would have been downloaded to your desktop and only be there.

This is the only incorrect part of your post, otherwise I agree with everything you said. But concerning the pop3, I think all email clients have options "to leave the message on the server" and if they don't, then the message is left there automatically.

True, but as alanrf pointed out most mail clients still default to deleting the mail from the server, and most users do not touch the default settings
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 01:37:51 AM »
JanP,

I am not enthralled by IMAP accounts.  I prefer to manage and archive my mail myself and not to have it mined and tracked by the likes of Google so I strictly limit the amount that remains on the server.  I no longer travel as much as I once did and the need for me to find my email when away from home is not there. 

I have a large number of different account types because I support a group of other folks and I want to cover the options and account types they all use. 

Sesame

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 03:57:03 AM »
I was concerned with the privacy issue of Gmail at first but the convenience has won.  I think quite many people simply go for convenience rather than being "enthralled" just like using Google search.  That said, quite many people including me are worried about relying too much on the services provided by Google and giving too much information to them, too.

As for convenience, we can have both POP and IMAP access on a single Gmail account.  We can have our mail on our main machines in this way.  As an alternative, I think we can keep copies of each retrieved mail on the local folder through mail client setting, too.  As for checking mail on the move, people concerned with privacy would prefer VPN, though.  The important thing is that there are options available and we can choose our own ways depending on our needs.

CharleyO

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 08:51:25 AM »

Hi JanP,

I have never had any of the problems you have suggested while using Earthlink web-based email. It is much safer to not download email onto your computer as it is always possible for some type of maiware to get by our defences. I can only guess that Earthlink does a better job of it than the ISP's you have used.

Anyway, there are advantages and disadvanges, to some degree, depending on the ISP and/or email client each of us chooses to use depending on our own requirements.