Author Topic: Avast doesn't detect binded viruses  (Read 3451 times)

welwin

Avast doesn't detect binded viruses
« on: March 29, 2004, 05:56:52 PM »
I just checked out the astalavista website, and it said that most of the antiviruses can't detect binded viruses.I tried this on avast and avast couldnt detect the eicar.com virus when it was binded with another .exe file.Why is this so?Is there a way to correct this problem.By the way avast only detects it when you aceess the file and not when you scan it.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Avast doesn't detect binded viruses
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 07:30:24 PM »
I just checked out the astalavista website, and it said that most of the antiviruses can't detect binded viruses.

What is the exact definition of a "binded" virus?

I tried this on avast and avast couldnt detect the eicar.com virus when it was binded with another .exe file.Why is this so?Is there a way to correct this problem.

No. Eicar must not be detected if the file has been modified. If any antivirus does so, it is wrong! Check www.eicar.org for more info.

By the way avast only detects it when you aceess the file and not when you scan it.

What exactly do you mean - can you describe more in detail?

welwin

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 11:15:42 PM »
It said when you bind a malicious program to another program such as another program i.e. concealing the virus within a legitimate program .

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 09:33:38 AM »
Well, it depends on "how" you hide the virus...
Generally, antiviruses look for the malicious code, not for the "main program"... so I think this shouldn't be a problem... but of course it will depend on the "concealing" technique.