Author Topic: WinMX and avast!  (Read 2677 times)

bonnietay4

WinMX and avast!
« on: March 30, 2004, 05:57:51 AM »
Hopefully someone will be able to answer my question.  I previously used AVG but found too many viruses were infecting my PC.  I used to check for updates daily and scanned after each session.  I have Adaware 6 & Spybot S & D. Also Trojan Remover.  My OS is Windows ME.  I like to download MP3's from WinMX.  Previously I had BitDefender for ICQ installed to (hopefully) protect my PC whilst in WinMX.  Now I have installed avast! 4 home edition I notice that the ICQ protection does not include WinMX.  Should I reinstall BitDefender for ICQ or will it clash with avast! 4 home edition. 8)

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
Re:WinMX and avast!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 06:58:53 AM »
avast covers both icq(under instant messaging shield)and winmx(under p2p shield,open up the avast ball near the computer clock and youll see the instant messaging,p2p,mail(outlook) and standard shield protection.you can configure them there.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:WinMX and avast!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 07:24:01 AM »
Actually WinMX is not covered by the P2P Shield under Win9x/MT. This is because of some technical difficulties. We tried to contact WinMX developers but to our surprise - they're totally anonymous. There is no contact information on any of WinMX sites.

Interesting way of doing business, I'd say... :-\

So if anyone of you could actually get some WinMX dev contact info, we'd appreciate that.

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 07:24:29 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.