Author Topic: Standard Shield exclusion won't stick  (Read 4094 times)

moonriver

Standard Shield exclusion won't stick
« on: May 30, 2008, 08:28:06 PM »
Hi all,

I am using a program (winwall) to change my desktop background. It is using a folder with about 3000 pics. Every time I start winwall, standard shield scans the entire picture folder. I added the folder to the standard shield advanced exclusion list but avast is still scanning all pics.
Please advice

Moonriver

(win xp pro sp3 and latest avast)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Standard Shield exclusion won't stick
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 10:06:13 PM »
Sounds like you have the Standard Shield set to High not Normal the default setting ?

Just opening a folder shouldn't cause it to be scanned, unless winwall access all images.

It also sounds like you haven't set the exclusion in the correct location or the path is wrong.

What did you enter in the exclusion ?
add it to the Standard Shield exclusions list:
Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add that is the one responsible for on-access scanning.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

moonriver

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 10:17:20 PM »
Sounds like you have the Standard Shield set to High not Normal the default setting ?

forgot to mention it is set to normal

Just opening a folder shouldn't cause it to be scanned, unless winwall access all images.

that I don't know, it might access all images, to start where it left off

It also sounds like you haven't set the exclusion in the correct location or the path is wrong.

What did you enter in the exclusion ?
add it to the Standard Shield exclusions list:
Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add that is the one responsible for on-access scanning.

that's where i added the path to my picture folder: C:\Documents and Settings\.....\My Documents\My Pictures\.....

thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 01:51:08 AM »
I would have thought that it would have some way to record where it left off, etc. if not I would say it was poorly designed. Even so I wouldn't have though it would have to access all images at once to find where it left off.

In normal use I wouldn't think it needed to access all the images, it would be doing it one at a time as it opens it to display it.

Well if that is exactly what you entered then it won't work you need to use either the full path without the \...\ or use the wildcard * asterisk to shorten the path you have to type.

e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\*\My Pictures\* the first asterisk skips having to enter intermediate folders and the last excludes all files or folders after the last folder (MyPictures) typed. This use of the wildcard has to be used with care as it can leave a large hole in your security.

Personally I don't see the worth of these programs, as when you are working/browsing on your computer, the last thing I'm doing is watching the wallpaper. I don't even have a screen saver as the reason it would be on is I'm not actively working.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

moonriver

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 09:50:18 AM »
Hi DavidR,

after going back and forth and trying the asterisk, I realized I had a "~" in my folder name to make it come up first. I guess avast didn't like this. Once I removed the "~" the exclusion worked just fine.

So, thanks a lot for your help

moonriver

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 02:15:08 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

It will accept the tilde ~ as that is a recognised windows shortname (when reducing long folder names to 8 characters), especially those with a space in the folder name. So I don't know why that would have been a problem.

Which is why I asked for the full text that you had input into the exclusion, what you posted had no tilde ~ ;D

Welcome to the forums.