Author Topic: Need anything else with avast?  (Read 5318 times)

Pep610

Need anything else with avast?
« on: March 30, 2004, 09:04:31 AM »
I just searched the web for a free antivirus program for a friend of mine who can't afford to buy one and found Avast.  Does Avast do the same job as Norton and McAffee?  I'm not that computer literate so am not sure whether or not to recommend this download to her.  Will Avast protect her on the web and also scan her e-mail for viruses?  Does it automatically update for new virus definitions?

Thanks for your help and any advice you can offer.

shgoh

Re:Need anything else with avast?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 09:24:16 AM »
yes to all your questions & doubts... ;D

please do recommend avast to her... ;)

probably the best AV you can find...

and you should definitely use it yourself too...  :)

maybe you can consider some software firewalls (zone alarm; kerio; sygate) especially when you are on broadband....and some spyware tools  ( ad-aware; spybot s&d) too
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 09:29:21 AM by shgoh »

Pep610

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 10:19:52 AM »
I'm already using Norton's antivirus/internet security on my computer which works fine, but does Avast! do the same thing as Norton's antivirus?  My friend is even more computer illiterate than myself, so I don't want to advise her to get something that will be a problem using for her.  I did just e-mail her about Avast! and also referred her to download.com to get Spybot.  I also told her to get the Pop-up Manager, but is that the best free program to use to stop pop-ups?  What is ad-aware for?

Thanks for your help, Pep

Bernie

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 12:35:31 PM »
but does Avast! do the same thing as Norton's antivirus?

Yes, but better!  ;)

shgoh

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 01:29:48 PM »
but does Avast! do the same thing as Norton's antivirus?

like what bernie said...avast is definitely more efficient than norton... ;)

I also told her to get the Pop-up Manager, but is that the best free program to use to stop pop-ups?

i'm not sure about this...coz i'm using firefox with a built-in pop-up stopper... :)

What is ad-aware for?

it's similar to spybot s&d...a spyware removal tool...it's best to use them both together... ;)

Pep610

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 07:44:32 PM »
Thanks so much for all your help.  I'll go and download and install advast! for her this evening.  I'll be back if I have any problems.  Like I said, I'm not that computer literate myself, so I hope all is point and click.

Thanks again, Pep

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 04:01:45 AM »
Thanks so much for all your help.  I'll go and download and install advast! for her this evening.  I'll be back if I have any problems.  Like I said, I'm not that computer literate myself, so I hope all is point and click.

Thanks again, Pep

Pep, wellcome to our family  ;)
A non-computer literate must stay away from Norton, this is my advice  8)
Oh, the literates too. Avast! makes the difference   ;)
The best things in life are free.

CoJo

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 04:05:30 AM »
I just searched the web for a free antivirus program for a friend of mine who can't afford to buy one and found Avast.  Does Avast do the same job as Norton and McAffee?  I'm not that computer literate so am not sure whether or not to recommend this download to her.  Will Avast protect her on the web and also scan her e-mail for viruses?  Does it automatically update for new virus definitions?

Thanks for your help and any advice you can offer.

welcome Pep610!
Avast! is the finest antivirus in the world and these forums are wonderful...
Please stay away from Norton...jmo, of course.
but I had alot of difficulty with Norton :(
and it took much help from the folks here to rid my system of it.

cojo