Author Topic: Skins in avast! 4.  (Read 20517 times)

shockwavesn1per

Skins in avast! 4.
« on: May 31, 2008, 08:24:27 PM »
Hello. Since this portion of the forum talks about avast! I was considering to ask a question. I currently have avast! 4.8 (latest) on my PC. Along with that I installed a bunch of skins ;D. Now the problem is that, I would like to remove them from avast. I have no clue how to remove them as I couldn't find anything under help. Thanks.  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Skins in avast! 4.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 08:43:51 PM »
They are in the skins folder, C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Skin, you will probably have to disable the avast self-defence module first, Program Settings, Troubleshooting. The skins don't take up much room though.

The skin file type is .asws so you can remove the ones you added, don't remove the three default ones, silver panel.asws, low res.asws, teak zepplin.asws (I can't remember if the szc-kde.asws is also a default). If you happen to remove the defaults I think they will be restored, though I can't recall 100%.

Enable the self-defence module when you have done.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 09:15:10 PM »
Nowadays I think only silver panel.asws, low res.asws and szc-kde.asws are there by default.
The extra default skins can be removed by using the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > avast Antivirus > Change/Remove > Change > Skins option.
I think Silver Panel and Low Res will always stay.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:33:14 PM »
Thanks Tech.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 10:46:58 PM »
Thanks Tech.
You're always welcome.
Indeed, Alwil could confirm the 'default skin list'... if they're reading this thread...

gdiloren

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 01:49:23 AM »
szc-kde.asws is also a default. I tried deleting it but it was restored. I uninstalled the themes, tried to get them back but it's no use. It doesn't work. Can I run again the setup file or is it too risky? Anyway the simple interface is OK too, but I have this skin folder there...!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 03:27:40 AM »
Can I run again the setup file or is it too risky?
No problems, go ahead. Both the skin could be reinstalled or all the program (repaired).

Silver Panel cannot be deleted (so does Low Res but this one is not shown on the list)
The other default skin, SZC-KDE, can be removed by using the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > avast Antivirus > Change/Remove > Change > Skins option.

gdiloren

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 10:25:42 PM »
As I said, I like it better WITHOUT skins, but once you have taken them out, it appears the change is irreversible, I even tried doing a repair through the control panel but the skins aren't back anymore. Too bad, AVAST looks more of an AV like this, without superfluous fancy skins that don't really belong to such a spartan software as an AV (this is my opinion). :o

PapaSmurf

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 08:22:29 AM »
ROFLMAO...I like the skins....sure they are just fluff, but my son thinks they are cool.  :D

gdiloren

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 04:01:22 PM »
ROFLMAO...I like the skins....sure they are just fluff, but my son thinks they are cool.  :D
AVAST don't need SKINS!!! It's good enough NAKED! 8)

PapaSmurf

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 04:44:03 PM »
AVAST don't need SKINS!!! It's good enough NAKED! 8)

8) Everybody in the pool!! whoohoo!! Shhhhhh..my system is....NAKED!!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 11:04:55 PM »
As I said, I like it better WITHOUT skins, but once you have taken them out, it appears the change is irreversible, I even tried doing a repair through the control panel but the skins aren't back anymore.
If you uninstall them... you need to change the installation settings (through Control Panel) to get them back.

gdiloren

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 11:29:43 PM »
As I said, I like it better WITHOUT skins, but once you have taken them out, it appears the change is irreversible, I even tried doing a repair through the control panel but the skins aren't back anymore.
If you uninstall them... you need to change the installation settings (through Control Panel) to get them back.
Sorry Tech,
  But I don't follow you. The only thing I see when I go through Control Panel when I click "Change" is a place where to check/uncheck "skin". Doing this once I unchecked it won't give me back my skins by checking  it again. I also tried the repair button after trying the check button in "change" but with no more better results. Just to say it doesn't work. But on my pc it's prettier without the skins (all that counts is that the program works.) :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 11:32:09 PM by gdiloren »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 11:35:23 PM »
Doing this once I unchecked it won't give me back my skins by checking  it again.
It will only bring back the default skins. Not the ones you've downloaded from the site.

gdiloren

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 12:13:41 AM »
Doing this once I unchecked it won't give me back my skins by checking  it again.
It will only bring back the default skins. Not the ones you've downloaded from the site.
Not even that in my case :'(