Author Topic: Skins in avast! 4.  (Read 20516 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Skins in avast! 4.
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 01:18:50 AM »
Not even that in my case :'(
Silver Panel cannot be deleted (so does Low Res but this one is not shown on the list)
The other default skin, SZC-KDE, can be removed/added by using the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > avast Antivirus > Change/Remove > Change > Skins option.
The best things in life are free.

gdiloren

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 01:56:42 AM »
That's what I'm trying to tell you. I have AVAST HOME EDITION v. 4.8.1229 and there is no skin option where to selectively remove each skin, there is only a square to check or uncheck near "skin". I did not touch any default skin ("theme" in french...) ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 02:33:30 AM »
You can also remove skins from the skins folder, and you would need to disable the self-defence module first.

In your image, by unchecking the Box next to Skins would effectively uninstall that option (removing any skins). If the option is checked (putting a tick make like the other options) it should install that option, giving the default selection of skins.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gdiloren

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 02:51:11 AM »
You can also remove skins from the skins folder, and you would need to disable the self-defence module first.

In your image, by unchecking the Box next to Skins would effectively uninstall that option (removing any skins). If the option is checked (putting a tick make like the other options) it should install that option, giving the default selection of skins.
That is the point, on my version checking the skin doesn't restore the default one, I still have the simplified naked AVAST without skin :'(

PapaSmurf

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 03:49:43 AM »
Sorry for the dumb question here, but I have the same version as you, yet I am unable to duplicate your screen shot..at all..not even close.
Can you tell me where I would find the "Configuration" window?

Edit: Ahh..is that seen on the initial install?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 03:51:15 AM by PapaSmurf »

gdiloren

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 04:00:25 AM »
Right click AVAST on the ADD REMOVE PANEL IN CONTROL PANEL and click on REMOVE/MODIFY (I have the french Edition of AVAST, from Quebec here!) ::)

PapaSmurf

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 04:29:00 AM »
Ahh ok..got it.

gdiloren

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 04:51:07 AM »
Well, it ain't working. My skin folder is there but I have the simplified interface whenever I call the program. It is a thing to improve I guess. >:(

gdiloren

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 06:07:51 AM »
Tech, some scratch to the irreducible power of AVAST. The skin feature appears to be irreversible to me. In fact, I had to uninstall AVAST and reinstall it from scratch (alright, I have high speed). I took the opportunity to install it on my D:/ drive less populated, and my pc goes a bit faster it seems. The skin is back. ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 05:28:10 PM »
There is no skin option where to selectively remove each skin, there is only a square to check or uncheck near "skin". I did not touch any default skin ("theme" in french...) ::)
Yeah, we're talking the same. It's 0 or 1, themes or no-themes. But to reduce the installation package, clicking themes will give you only one extra skin and not all of them...

Well, it ain't working. My skin folder is there but I have the simplified interface whenever I call the program. It is a thing to improve I guess. >:(
But did you change back the avast4.ini file setting to use the skins?

gdiloren

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 07:09:41 PM »

[/quote]
But did you change back the avast4.ini file setting to use the skins?
[/quote]
Tech, This is pure "chinese" to me!!! I prefer to uninstall the program and reinstall from scratch. I use the french setup. Thanks the same. KDE skin is default one I know for sure. ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 07:15:49 PM »
Tech, This is pure "chinese" to me!!!
Not if you have a detailed info, with people trying to help you ;)

gdiloren

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 09:48:36 PM »
Opened the avast.ini file in Notepad. Now I have my skins enabled anyway and AVAST is working. But I am curious to know where the h...l you go to correct and get back your skins without having to uninstall the whole program again. What are the lines to apply correction? ???
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 12:40:12 AM by gdiloren »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 10:05:36 PM »
Please modify your post as it has numerous blank lines after the last line of text. this makes the post huge and requires scrolling.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gdiloren

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 10:17:59 PM »
Please modify your post as it has numerous blank lines after the last line of text. this makes the post huge and requires scrolling.
How do you do that. I tried but I failed. I was trying to post my .ini file but it was huge! ::)
By the way, I found your "UNDERSTANDING THE AVAST .ini"  thread not so far and the solution I think:
StartWithSkin   1   Enable ActiveSkin (an 3rd party library used by avast for skinning). To disable skins (workaround mode), set it to 0.
Is that it? :D
Sorry for the distraction, it's summer :o
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 10:31:04 PM by gdiloren »