Author Topic: scan volume  (Read 10046 times)

melant73

scan volume
« on: June 01, 2008, 12:32:11 AM »
hi, i am new with avast i just did a scan volume but now i dont know what to do with the scan results?? does not allow me to delete them ... so what is the next step?? avast didn't find any viruses only warnings ....

thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: scan volume
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 01:25:14 AM »
It's better to send an infected file to Chest then direct deleting it.
Are you saying you want to change the warning voice (sound)? You can configure it like you want into Sounds tab of settings.
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 02:54:51 AM »
or more importantly what warnings did avast report?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

pupusse

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 09:50:16 AM »
If you are not familiar with viruses ,

you should set avast to send suspect files in chest ( quarantine ) and to examine them later to decide what to do ( keep , delete,....) ;)

pteplitz

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 08:42:22 AM »
I also just downloaded a trial version for my Mac, ran the scan, and have scan results for 1010 items, 982 unprocessed - every single one a warning. Mostly err 42056 and err 13. What does all this mean? And waht do I do next?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 06:09:20 PM »
I also just downloaded a trial version for my Mac, ran the scan, and have scan results for 1010 items, 982 unprocessed - every single one a warning. Mostly err 42056 and err 13. What does all this mean? And waht do I do next?
Error 13 is a permission error. Its been discussed man times here on the forum. Basically Avast does not have permission to scan the file (it does not have read access). This is normal. Some system files will return this. Also if you have more than one user on your Mac you will most likely get the error for their files as your don't have access to them.

In the next release of Avast for Mac these warnings will be suppressed, because many users thing that warning = infection
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

pteplitz

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 07:13:53 PM »
Thank you. This morning I see that the warnings are all gone from the results window. What does unprocessed mean? How do I "process" an item?

BTW, I skimmed through support pages, the FAQs, and the posts and didn't quickly see an answer to my question discussed before this recent post. Perhaps a Mac FAQ that covers the basics that anyone running the app for the first time will/might encounter would be a very good idea. While the product appears robust and I know it's widely used on the PC platform, your Mac documentation is pretty thin.

I figured I wasn't infected, but I didn't know what the warnings were and if there was anything I needed to do. I didn't know they would just disappear on reboot. A list of the meanings of error codes would be useful.

What is a 42056 error?

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 12:16:01 PM »
Thank you. This morning I see that the warnings are all gone from the results window. What does unprocessed mean? How do I "process" an item?

BTW, I skimmed through support pages, the FAQs, and the posts and didn't quickly see an answer to my question discussed before this recent post. Perhaps a Mac FAQ that covers the basics that anyone running the app for the first time will/might encounter would be a very good idea. While the product appears robust and I know it's widely used on the PC platform, your Mac documentation is pretty thin.

I figured I wasn't infected, but I didn't know what the warnings were and if there was anything I needed to do. I didn't know they would just disappear on reboot. A list of the meanings of error codes would be useful.

What is a 42056 error?

Hallo,
it's exactly as .:Mac:. explained - err13 means "file cannot be accessed". this means, that the scan wasn't performed over this file, and saying "it's clean" wouldn't be correct here - that's why it's labelled with err 13.

List of errors was discussed here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=36190.0
In particular, 42056 is "archive is password protected" (= was not scanned, because w/o passwd wasn't unpacked)

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)