Author Topic: False Detection  (Read 3790 times)

ronnycopeh

False Detection
« on: June 15, 2008, 06:16:56 PM »
I have been using Avast pro for a while with no problem and the detection is great, but today I went to change to scan result and notice that avast had delete my bittorent. exe and I had to install the program over again to get it to run. Why would this happen I wasn't using it at the time.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: False Detection
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 06:46:07 PM »
First lets be clear avast doesn't delete anything automatically, but alerts you to infection and 'you' have to make the choice on what action to take.

So there is something else in the mix, what is the $64,000 question.

Have you made any changes to the default settings for when something is detected ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ronnycopeh

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 06:58:31 PM »
Okay let me state again, I set avast to scan at night at 3:00am and I check the results later in the day, the results said it had found a virus etc (bittorent.exe)  and the file had been deleted. when I tried to run the program it was not found at all, so you tell me. I'm the only user of this pc so I was sleep and I did'nt have the option to refuse. Do I have something set wrong to delete file without asking?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 08:44:16 PM »
Well avast! Pro has options on what to do when a virus is detected, but I don't believe that the default is delete, more move to the chest. So if you have changed the actions to be carried out on detection, I guess that you would set that up when setting up the schedule scan at 3a.m.

Quote from: Extract from avast help, EnhancedUser Interface
Tasks, Sessions, and Results

When working in the Enhanced User Interface, it is necessary to understand three main terms: what the tasks, the sessions and the results are.

Task contains information specifying what and how avast! should test. For instance, it says what folders avast! should scan, what types of files, what action it should take when a virus is found, whether the archives should be tested, etc. The tasks can be created, edited, deleted and copied.

Session is the process of performing a task. When you start a task, a session is in progress. Sessions can be paused, stopped, deleted, and their results can be displayed.
Results are information about a past session. The result of a session is e.g. the number of infected files, the number of scanned files, etc.

Results are information about a past session. The result of a session is e.g. the number of infected files, the number of scanned files, etc.

I don't use the Pro version so I can't be any practical help, but there is more information in the help file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 08:59:03 PM »
Do I have something set wrong to delete file without asking?
Which task did you run?
Into that task, which are the settings into the Virus page of settings?
Maybe you've set something to avast to do automatically...
The default action is generally an interative question (Choose action...) as far I know.
The best things in life are free.

ronnycopeh

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 09:14:24 PM »
Thanks the task setting was wrong and set to delete, I had made a new task but I deleted and used scan local disk and set it to repair and if fail move to chest. I'm still wondering why it deleted bittorrent.exe without any activity from the program. thanks again for the help

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 09:50:42 PM »
Thanks the task setting was wrong and set to delete, I had made a new task but I deleted and used scan local disk and set it to repair and if fail move to chest.
I will even set Repair [if fails] Interaction. You could move to Chest a file that is required by Windows.

I'm still wondering why it deleted bittorrent.exe without any activity from the program.
Could be a false positive. Maybe you could submit the file to www.virustotal.com
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 10:08:53 PM »
Thanks the task setting was wrong and set to delete, I had made a new task but I deleted and used scan local disk and set it to repair and if fail move to chest. I'm still wondering why it deleted bittorrent.exe without any activity from the program. thanks again for the help

You're welcome.

At least part of the mystery is solved. You should be able to install the latest bittorrent version and see if avast detects anything in the installation and send to VT as suggested by Tech.