Author Topic: Dial-up and Firewall  (Read 14532 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Dial-up and Firewall
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2004, 04:07:26 AM »
It's just that some people think they're 100% protected with a firewall and consider it like some piece of Set&forget protection.
A firewall imho gives you a false sense of security and needs some knowledge of what it can, and what it can't do + constant maintaining

Also as to why not use one: browse the web as to the problems ZA leaves/left when not properly uninstalled ;D ;D ;)
or the new very destructive witty worm spreading through a bug in BlackIce -FW ;)

Hey whocares, what do you have to maintain in the firewall software besides 'update' and know what programs have access rights and/or server rights? What kind of maintainence are you talking about?

And, what ZA left behing after uninstalling that is so dangerous? Is it dangerous even it is not uninstalled?

I think I'm that stupid man you refer above - the one of 'Set&forget protection' -, I have to confess I'm not worried about firewall all the time. Does I have to?
The best things in life are free.

Steele

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2004, 04:27:25 AM »
Hackers don't really bother to try to gain access to a 56K modem.
They KNOW, it's not worth the effort.

Especially since your IP address does/can change everytime you connect.

I used to have 56K dial up access connecting at 48.9Kbps with a shut down company called Barrie Connex. Look Communications took over.

Now, I'm on High Speed DSL with Bell Sympatico.ca.

A firewall is not really worth it when it comes to dial-up access.

Plus IP addresses that are assigned to dial-up users are in a COMPLETELY different range than those with Cable/DSL connections.

A hacker knows this.... and will not bother with your connection.
There are FAR too many fat juicy unprotected Cable/DSL connections to go after.

My friend, I would have to say that you are pretty safe.  ;D
I've had dial-up for years without a firewall and not ONCE was I ever attacked. I know a hell of a lot about computers...the apps, the core hardware..ect.

Of course... you can NEVER have too much protection. But investing in one or getting one of those freebie ones off the net is not really worth it unless you have a dedicated 24/7 dial-up/ISDN connection.

Hope this helps?
The decision is yours.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 04:29:20 AM by Steele »

waxie

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2004, 05:21:33 AM »
Thanks,I thought that I once read sowewhere about the IP Address with dial-up, but wasn't real sure .

Thanks for all the help !!

Waxie

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2004, 05:52:42 AM »
Only slightly O/T, but hopefully still reasonably close to home -- I'm on dialup now, and whenever I get around to upgrading it'll definitely be DSL not cable.  My ISP recommends disconnecting DSL when not in use, and dynamic IP is standard with each reconnection to his DSL same as for a dialup.

I asked my cable people about whether they offered dynamic IP's (a very few cable cos. do, bless them) -- I had to talk to 6 different service reps before I finally found one who even knew what I was talking about.  The answer, finally, was yes if needed -- but at a quite stiff increase in rate.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2004, 06:18:33 AM »
Charter Communications uses dynamic IP's on all their connections. I have the 35MBPS connection of theirs for $34.50 a month and they allow me to use on all computers in my house with great tech support
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2004, 07:57:01 AM »
Dynamic IPs are irrelevant. An  IP is an IP. Once you are online you have a fixed IP for that session.

Cable and ADSL users are more vulnerable because of the length of time that the IP lease is maintained.

Modem dialups are not less vulnerable to the hooligans. Remember, an IP is an IP period.

If you don't have a firewall, vurus scanning software etc. then your machine is vulnerable.

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2004, 08:24:47 AM »
Perhaps a little more explanation might be in order.

1) TCPIP is a point to point connection process. In the same that every Ethernet card on the planet has a unique number so does an Internet connection. As soon as an internet connection is achieved via an ISP that machine is visible to everyone on the Internet.

2) The magic identifier is the IP number dynamically allocated by your ISP to your computer. Once an Internet connection is established your computer is visible to any computer connected to the Internet.

3) It does not matter where you are in the world, an IP address of - for instance - 192.168.0.1 - establishes a peer to peer connection. By definition, an Internet connected computer must be running a TCPIP stack. If its possible to find an IP then probing of the machine is simplistic. Only a firewall can alert you to incoming probes of this nature.

4) Run a firewall or run the risk.

Chris

shgoh

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2004, 10:04:09 AM »
nice job chris... :)

Steele

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2004, 12:57:47 AM »
You're quite welcome waxie!  ;D

CharleyO

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2004, 08:47:21 PM »
Those last 2 post by Chris (newey) were very nice ... and correct!    :)  

BTW, if you use ZoneAlarm, there is a reporting utility for it called VisualZone that will tell you much more about the attempts to enter your computer. Do a google search for it!    :)  

shgoh

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2004, 12:04:24 AM »
thanks charleyo

guys..you can get it from here

http://www.visualizesoftware.com/

i have not try it though
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 12:31:28 AM by shgoh »