Author Topic: Adware  (Read 3257 times)

Offline Caryl

Adware
« on: June 02, 2008, 07:23:21 PM »
I had no problems with my weekly Avast scan, but the Super AntiSpyware scan indicated that there were 30 Adware Tracking Cookies, with a suggestion that they are removed and quaranteed. I assume that I should do this. Is there anything else that I should do?

Thank you.

SUPERAntiSpywareScan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 06/02/2008 at 11:43 AM

Application Version : 4.1.1046

Core Rules Database Version : 3472
Trace Rules Database Version: 1463

Scan type       : Quick Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:14:26

Memory items scanned      : 562
Memory threats detected   : 0
Registry items scanned    : 476
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned        : 12406
File threats detected     : 30

Adware.Tracking Cookie
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@revsci[2].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@anat.tacoda[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@tacoda[2].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@collective-media[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@ads.revsci[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@msnportal.112.2o7[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@atwola[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@2o7[2].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@atdmt[2].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@bizrate[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@nextag[2].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@anad.tacoda[2].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@bluestreak[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@adopt.specificclick[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@partner2profit[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@ads.sun[2].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@statcounter[2].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@imrworldwide[2].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@advertising[2].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@iacas.adbureau[2].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@superstats[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@insightexpressai[2].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@ads.pointroll[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@doubleclick[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@ads.foodbuzz[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@adopt.euroclick[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@www.ticketsnow[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@www.googleadservices[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@reunion.adbureau[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Caryl Dreiblatt\Cookies\caryl_dreiblatt@indextools[2].txt

sanctuaryforever

Re: Adware
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 07:26:24 PM »
Tracking cookies are extremely low risk and Avast doesnt detect them, a tracking cookie retains only minimal info on your web habits for the purpose of research etc.  I normally use superantispyware every month or so to check my system and clear tracking cookies also they can retain your entered passwords when you tick "remember my password" on certain sites.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 07:29:19 PM by sanctuaryforever »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 10:06:08 PM »
They are such a low risk, I always have the scanning option not to bother with tracking cookies.

They are if anything a minor privacy issue but not security based issue.

I would suggest that you disable third party cookies (if your browser has that option ?) so that only the actual site you are visiting is allowed to use cookies and not the links to ads, etc. that will . In firefox there is a nice add-on CookieSafe that gives greater control over cookies, allowing (whitelist) sites and explicitly blocking sites.

With cookiesafe all cookies are disabled when you visit a site for the first time, here you can choose to allow temporarily, allow for session, which effectively whitelists the site but only for session cookies nothing permanent, or allow completely. So you have a great deal of control over what cookies are allowed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Caryl

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 10:42:32 PM »
Thank you to Sanctuaryforever and DavidR for your replies to my adware query.

...I always have the scanning option not to bother with tracking cookies.

I have changed mine to this option.

I would suggest that you disable third party cookies (if your browser has that option ?) so that only the actual site you are visiting is allowed to use cookies and not the links to ads, etc. that will .
I use IE7, and have disabled the third party cookies.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 11:31:35 PM »
You're welcome.

Disabling third party cookies should reduce the number of so called tracking cookies anyway, it is frequently these that are classed as tracking cookies as they are often from marketing/advertising sites that want to analyse your browsing habits.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 05:43:54 PM »
thankyou for the thankyou ;D

come back anytime you have a query