Author Topic: newbie question .. please be gentle ;-)  (Read 6949 times)

jenany

newbie question .. please be gentle ;-)
« on: June 03, 2008, 04:15:38 AM »
I've been using Avast Home Edition for years and love it.  Until now, I've not had any issues related to it.  I use an email checking program called POP Peeper, and have been getting an error lately telling me that "concurrent connections limit in avast exceeded".  I posted a question about this at the POP Peeper forum and they suggested that something might have changed with Avast that could cause this error.  It also might have something to do with my local internet provider because it's those POP accounts that I'm getting this error with, not my web-based accounts.  Anyway, I am new here and not much of a techie so please be gentle. 

If I'm totally off base and my problem doesn't have anything to do with Avast, then I apologize in advance.

Thanks for your input!

Bethany

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: newbie question .. please be gentle ;-)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 04:34:17 AM »
It could be avast... it could be due to a loop between avast and PopPeeper.
Edit avast4.ini, find the section [MailScanner], add (or edit) the line IgnoreProcess.

[MailScanner]
IgnoreProcess=poppeeper.exe

Or whatever the process name is. CTRL+ALT+DEL could say you the name of the process running.

Or you can increase that limit, see
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11788.0#msg100032

Feel free to ask for further help and welcome to avast forums.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 04:36:21 AM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

jenany

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 05:08:32 AM »
Tech,

Thanks so much for that input.  I have to admit that I had my hubby fix it the way you suggested, since it was a little too techie for me, but it worked!  I no longer get that error in POP Peeper. 

Thanks again for your help!  I love Avast ~

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 05:52:41 PM »
Thanks again for your help!  I love Avast ~
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)
The best things in life are free.

juanvergino

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 04:41:34 PM »
Hello,

I'm having  a similar problem between Pop Peeper and Avast Internet Security 8.

With versiĆ³n 7 of Avast and earlier versions it never happened.

The point is, when you click on the "Check Mail" button of Pop Peeper, one or more email accounts don't give back info about emails on each mailbox. Some seconds later the system gives an "timing" error and you have to click on the reset button of the mailboxes failed.

Otherwise, if you deactivate Avast Internet Security 8 during some minutes to use Pop Peeper there is no problem.

My question is, is there any INI file in my PC Avast folders to disable the check in Pop Peeper, as before?

Thanks, Juan