Author Topic: Default Registry Keys for Avast  (Read 10218 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Default Registry Keys for Avast
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 04:48:44 AM »
Maybe I am missing something but I am always a bit puzzled by this "I cannot see the results of my last scan in the Home edition".

I have the results of every single scan I have ever run with avast Home edition on this system as a (very long) text file in the Reports folder of avast telling me the start and end date/time of each scan and the problems (like folders that could not be scanned etc). 

Just by setting the Report options in the avast program settings you can have huge amounts of data from the scans or just the important stuff.

So, I see no reason why blue2 should not be able to do this to.

If you select a custom folder for the file it can even fall outside the barbed wire of the avast self protection feature.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 04:51:15 AM by alanrf »

blue2

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 09:29:21 AM »
So, I see no reason why blue2 should not be able to do this to.

Nor do I. I could not imagine that the report location would be customizable IF this feature did not work in the Home version. Of course I tested it (several times) and it did not work. If a AV scanner skips certain files, you'd like to know which ones they are to verify if they are expected types in expected locations (e.g. archive or password protected files) or system files which would cause concern.

Since the registry permissions were all cleaned up, and the program was uninstalled and re-installed carefully, just to be safe, I can't see why reports would not be created.

Is this controlled by a registry key value or is there some other way to check this?

Thanks.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 02:26:48 PM »
What exactly did you enter as the custom location?

blue2

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 04:29:23 PM »
I just browse to a pre-defined folder in the root directory. Why would the location matter (as long as its on the principle master drive)?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 04:50:01 PM »
I just browse to a pre-defined folder in the root directory. Why would the location matter (as long as its on the principle master drive)?
Can't you write down the full path of this folder here?
The problem could be in non-Ascii characters on it, on the missing of ""...
The best things in life are free.

blue2

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 05:00:47 PM »
Yes, it's:

c:\downloads

As you can see, it should not be the source of the problem, as the name contains no spaces, and is in root.

I could always try the default as a test, but I'd be surprised if it worked.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 05:15:19 PM »
Hmmm... it's beyond my knowledge... hope Igor help troubleshooting this.

blue2

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 05:28:50 PM »
Never mind.

In all the excitement over solving the registry permissions issue, I never checked how I set up the folder. Of course it was during the re-install...as adiministrator, thereby forgetting to grant local user permissions to write to it. How ironic!

Everything is working. Igor can dedicate his time to someone else. Thank you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 09:49:29 PM »
Oh... I'm just thinking if avast self-defense module has anything related to this...
Maybe the reports can't be moved anymore... But, as you're saying they're working...

blue2

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 11:52:59 AM »
No, self-defense apparently did not create an issue.

However, the coding on Avast should probably be changed. If the user selects a folder that he doesn't have permission to write to, Avast won't create the report BUT won't display a message that the report could not be written. In my mind, that should be fixed, because the user should be alerted when anything they've chosen cannot be done.