Author Topic: First time user questions...Issues?  (Read 3255 times)

SUGE WHITE

First time user questions...Issues?
« on: June 05, 2008, 03:11:38 AM »
I ran the "thorough" scanner and it took a VERY long time.  ???

1. Is this going to be the case every time?

2. In my log reports I had system restores and a bunch of "protected" areas that showed up. Some of my system restores showed up as viruses. I wasn't able to scan the "protected" areas either. Is this common.

Thx for your help

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: First time user questions...Issues?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 04:12:25 AM »
Hi

The Thorough Scan is very thorough, especially if you have "Scan archive files" checked and shouldn't be necessary all the time. This thread may also be helpful.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

rogman49

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 03:16:24 PM »
Hi All,

Can someone please explain what 'archive' files are?  :-\

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 03:31:40 PM »
A friend of mine knows, Google, http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=what+is+archive+file.

A single file that contains a collection of different files and/or directories. Archive files are often used to transport collections of files ...

Often called a Zip file.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_(file_format)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SUGE WHITE

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 08:35:11 AM »

2. In my log reports I had system restores and a bunch of "protected" areas that showed up. Some of my system restores showed up as viruses. I wasn't able to scan the "protected" areas either. Is this common.

Thx for your help

Thanks but what about my #2 question?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 11:35:15 AM »
Without seeing what was detected in System Restore points, impossible to know what the malware is (was) and even then maybe not possible. If you have had malware in the past, the chances are high that it would have created itself in a system restore point, that's a common trick. Usually the final part of a malware cleaning procedure is to delete all restore points, but only once the computer is clean, and running correctly (ie it is reasonably certain that system restore won't be needed at that point.)
What I would do, if everything is working well, is to disable system restore, reboot, turn it back on. Future restore points (you won't know for a day or two) should be clean.
Regarding protected files, this is normal. Such files are often encrypted and/or password protected. Some antispyware applications use this to keep there definition files under lock and key, so to speak. Avast has no way of opening them, and it doesn't matter. Unless you see a password protected file that you or a known program did not put there, you can treat them as safe.
Very commonly seen with users of Adaware, and Spybot S&D. Also MS Crypto keys etc.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.