Author Topic: Auto update hangs when playing full screen game  (Read 2266 times)

pjo123

Auto update hangs when playing full screen game
« on: June 06, 2008, 01:40:38 AM »
Hi all

For the last couple of nights, when I've been playing Lord of the Rings Online, I hear the message "Virus database has been updated" and the screen goes black.  Nothing works, tried alt-tab, ctrl-alt-delete etc.

The game music carries on playing until I ctrl-alt-delete, then it gets stuck and I get that awful noise you get from the speakers when a sound is hung and rapidly plays the same note over and over again.

Only option has been to hold the power button in for a few secs to switch off.

I don't see the little blue box telling me it's been updating, could it be that there's some conflict between the game hogging the screen and avast trying to draw on it?

Is there a way for auto updates to run silently?  I've only had this problem a couple of days.

4.8 Home
Vista 64 premium
4GB
768mb Nvidia 8800 GTX

thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Auto update hangs when playing full screen game
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 03:04:30 AM »
Won't the option on Troubleshoot tab of settings correct this?
You can also use Update (Basic) > Details settings to remove any warning on updates.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 08:45:13 AM »
What do you have set on the Troubleshooting page (Check for full screen applications...) - is it checked or not (when the problem occurs)?

pjo123

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 10:39:59 AM »
Many thanks.

Feel like an idiot  ;D

Check for full screen applications before displaying popups is now ticked (it wasn't before)

Hopefully that fixes it. If it doesn't, will try silent mode.

Best

Phil