Author Topic: A couple of ?'s and some thoughts  (Read 3689 times)

msb113

A couple of ?'s and some thoughts
« on: March 31, 2004, 02:47:53 AM »
Testing the home version and have a few questions for the guru's here...
On running a full scan of a system, what good is having the virus found nag screen come up if it stops the scanning process? Yes I understand that you can tick the window not to display again but thats worthless if it defaults back to being unchecked at a new scan.
On another issue... what happens IF somehow you catch a virus that resides on the High Memory and causes the system to be unbootable? Why is there no option to create floppies to do a scan thru dos, this seems like a very big hole in the software that would not allow you to recover from a new strain targeting high mem.

What are the settings to have a file that is downloaded to be scanned instantly without having to do a manual check of the file?

Thanks for any insight and answers

Msb113

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:A couple of ?'s and some thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 03:56:56 AM »
Testing the home version and have a few questions for the guru's here...
On running a full scan of a system, what good is having the virus found nag screen come up if it stops the scanning process? Yes I understand that you can tick the window not to display again but thats worthless if it defaults back to being unchecked at a new scan.

This is a feature of Professional version. You can customize everything there: the actions that should be take if a virus is found and even a sequence of them, for instance, 'repair' if fails 'move to chest' if fails 'delete'...

On another issue... what happens IF somehow you catch a virus that resides on the High Memory and causes the system to be unbootable? Why is there no option to create floppies to do a scan thru dos, this seems like a very big hole in the software that would not allow you to recover from a new strain targeting high mem.

You have Bart CD for recovering. It's another product of Alwil. You can see at the webpage. Anyway, the free version is not 'good' in this particular kind of feature. You can try avast for DOS too.

What are the settings to have a file that is downloaded to be scanned instantly without having to do a manual check of the file?

C:\Program files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe
(without any other parameter)

Hope this help. Wellcome to our family!  ;)
The best things in life are free.

msb113

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 04:26:35 AM »
Thanks for your reply... I will have to put a little thought into purchasing the Pro version... will give home a test for awhile but reluctant to do so to be honest... feel much safer running my AVG Pro7... but they are having server issues with the downloads of the dats. Just cant't catch a break this week.  Norton is a bloater and a hog and McAfee is not much better... AVG runs smooth, fast and low resources gotta love that!

Thanks again, may give pro a shot... its only money and I can't take it with me!

msb113

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 03:17:52 PM »
Thanks for your reply... I will have to put a little thought into purchasing the Pro version... will give home a test for awhile but reluctant to do so to be honest... feel much safer running my AVG Pro7... but they are having server issues with the downloads of the dats.

I used AVG too. Updates were always a problem. I cannot imagine why do you think you feel safer with it than avast  ;D

Norton is a bloater and a hog and McAfee is not much better...

Fully agree with you.

AVG runs smooth, fast and low resources gotta love that!

So do avast!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 03:28:18 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.