Author Topic: Real-time protectio  (Read 3299 times)

upgrader18

Real-time protectio
« on: June 05, 2008, 09:13:29 AM »
Is Avast Free Antivirus Home Edition have a real-time protection? Where can I see that it is activated?

I asked this because I plugged my ipod and didn't detect any virus but when I plugged it to another PC with a different antivirus it detected tones of virus, and removed them all  :)

I'd like to keep avast in my PC, I just want to know if it has real-time scan and protection. thanks.

ardvark

Re: Real-time protectio
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 09:26:10 AM »
Is Avast Free Antivirus Home Edition have a real-time protection? Where can I see that it is activated?

I asked this because I plugged my ipod and didn't detect any virus but when I plugged it to another PC with a different antivirus it detected tones of virus, and removed them all  :)

I'd like to keep avast in my PC, I just want to know if it has real-time scan and protection. thanks.

Hi...

Yes, avast does have real time protection and scanning. :)

To see if it's activated, you should see a blue globe in your toolbar with the letter "a." It spins around when it scans a file.

Do you see this on your system?

Best Regards...

upgrader18

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 09:54:50 AM »
Thanks ardvark  :)

I do have that icon at the system tray, but I just want to know why Avast didn't detect the viruses at my ipod before? I always plug it in my PC but as I plug it to a different PC with a different antivirus,it detected alot of viruses.

ardvark

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 10:04:37 AM »
Thanks ardvark  :)

I do have that icon at the system tray, but I just want to know why Avast didn't detect the viruses at my ipod before? I always plug it in my PC but as I plug it to a different PC with a different antivirus,it detected alot of viruses.

Hi...

I really couldn't tell you on this. ???

There are folks on here more qualified than I who could comment as to the possible reasons. Were you offered the "right click scanning" option on the device icon?

Best Regards...

upgrader18

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 10:33:41 AM »
Many thanks ardvark :) you've given me some light regarding the real-time protection, for my other questions I'll wait for others to give some clarification :)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 10:48:33 AM »
Some products do scan a device when it is added to the system (I suppose if you took that to its logical conclusion there would be a full system scan on every system start).

avast does not scan a new device when it is added to the system.  avast's real time protection is "on access scanning". On access means what it says - the file is scanned when it is accessed - the files on the newly added device are not (normally - see exception below) accessed when the device is added to the system.  Files on the new device will be scanned when they are accessed or by an on demand scan by the user of the system.

There is a special case of "autorun".  If your system is so configured (most older systems are by default) then certain files on the new device may be automatically run by the operating system.  These files and any other files they activate on the device will be scanned by avast as part of normal "on access" scanning.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:50:37 AM by alanrf »

ardvark

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 11:07:20 AM »
Thanks, Alan. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 02:13:51 PM »
I plugged it to another PC with a different antivirus it detected tones of virus, and removed them all  :)
Which is the other antivirus?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 03:08:18 PM »

What were the malware names, file names of the detections ?
As Tech asked what was the other AV, if they were deleted there is possibly no way of knowing if the detections were good.

I wouldn't have though your iPod was so susceptible to virus/malware as to have tons of viruses/malware on it, a lot would depend on where you were visiting to get your data/media on it, dodgy sites, etc. ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security