Author Topic: Decompression Bomb  (Read 6835 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Decompression Bomb
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 05:16:12 PM »
system restore is controlled by virus
What do you mean? Can't you manage system restore? Are you the administrator of the system?
The best things in life are free.

phir

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 05:35:14 PM »
yeah, i'm the administrator.  this thing took over EVERYTHING on my damn computer.  i was just going to do a system restore, because i have all my files backed up on an external hard drive.  this virus changed my restore points and only allows me to restore post-infection.  the virus took over all administrative control, so doing anything is a pain in the ass and i'm no computer genius, i'm totally lost as to what to do.  i've never seen anything like this before and neither has anyone i've asked.

CharleyO

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 09:22:54 PM »

With your problems, I do not know if you can do this but at least try ......

Please download HijackThis from the link below, run the program but do not make any fixes, and then post the log results using the "copy & paste" method. It will probably take more than one post to be able to get the complete log posted. OR, you can post it as an attachment to your post by clicking on "Additional Options..." below left of the posting box. Someone will review your log and then offer help.

http://filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 09:38:02 PM »
i'm no computer genius, i'm totally lost as to what to do.
If a virus is replicant (coming and coming again), you could follow the general cleaning procedure:

1. Disable System Restore on Windows ME, XP or Vista. System Restore cannot be disabled on Windows 9x and it's not available in Windows 2k. After boot you can enable System Restore again after step 3. To use System Restoration it's necessary to disable avast! self-protection: avast! settings > Troubleshooting > Disable avast! self-defence module then start a System Restore.

2. Clean your temporary files. You can use CleanUp or the Windows Advanced Care features for that.

3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast. Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot. Other option is scanning in SafeMode (repeatedly press F8 while booting).

4. It will be good if you download, install, update and run SUPERantispyware, MBAM or SpywareTerminator.
If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
About legit antispyware applications or the bad ones: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#sites

5. If you still detecting any strange behavior or even you're sure you're not clean, maybe it will be good to test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster for XP/Vista. For XP only: Panda.

6. Also, if you still detecting strange behaviors or you want to be sure you're clean, maybe making a HijackThis log to post here and, specially, scan and submit to on-line analysis the RunScanner log would help to identify the problem and the solution.

7. After you're clean, use the immunization of SpywareBlaster or, which is better, the Windows Advanced Care features of spyware/adware cleaning and removal.

8. Finally, when you're clean, check for insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector to update insecure applications and avoid reinfection.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 09:41:36 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.