Author Topic: Qwirks with Avast  (Read 3170 times)

wyne4me2

Qwirks with Avast
« on: March 31, 2004, 04:03:57 AM »
I've installed Avast Home/Pro to see how this program works. It certainly has had favorable reviews although I'm not so fond of it at this point. I've installed it on Win 98. Now my printer won't print. I get the message "resources low".  Another  time the computer froze up when I was closing down and I get the "EXBUGCHECK" error 44 or whatever- and this code according to Microsoft means that there is a driver conflict somewhere. My computer was running smoothly until I put this antivirus program on - so what gives?!

Thanks for any help!
Linda

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:Qwirks with Avast
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 07:02:14 AM »
Ugly said,but get rid of Win98. This is 6 years old piece of software (ok a year more).
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Be Safe. Be Smart. Use Common Sense.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 07:12:47 AM »
Hey Linda,
       It's radicalb21. First let me welcome you to the forum. I will try and answer your question as will other people in the forum. Can you please give some more information about your computer (like hard drive size, amount of memory, as well as number of  programs running when you come across this problem). Have you checked to see if there are any new updates for your printer software? This might resolve the driver conflict for your printer. Also please check windows update to make sure you are up to date and all critical updates are installed. Please check system performance by right clicking My Computer go to properties and look at the Performance Tab and please post that percentage. The only way to regain these resources is to restart your system. A goog range is 85 % or higher. When your resources get to low you are in dangetr of your system crashing. Upgrading your RAM will help a little bit. How much hard drive space is available (free space). Upgrading your hard drive if it is to small will also help. Next see how many computer programs are running by looking next to your clock in the system tray. This can be changed by going to Run and type msconfig and go to the Startup Tab and see what programs are running. Programs that are running are the ones that have a checkmark next to them. Some things are required to run windows others are not so if you could post a screenshot or tell us what is running. When you are done unchecking things you will need to restart your system. Hope this helps. If not please repost the new information asked for and I and others will try and help you to the best of are knowledge.  
iMac 21.5 " Mid 2011 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

wyne4me2

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 04:40:06 PM »
Radicalb21:   Thanks for the info - I'll go through the steps you've given me and see if that helps. I sure hope so! Otherwise, I'll be back!

Linda