Author Topic: I think a macro virus infected my word document file WAHHH!  (Read 3084 times)

alexthegreat

Well at my school (It has no security it just reformats itself after it shuts off)  I was browsing for a picture to put in a project I was working on in school ( I spent 5 hours on it, it's due on monday)  All of a sudden it starts getting a bit laggy so I decide to save it says Access to H:/ is denied (the school server) so I try again.  I try to save to my documents and it fails.  All of a sudden it says cannot read please save your document so I saved it to my documents.

I opened it and a paragraph was replaced with squares (normally to represent the symbol cannot be read or whatever) and all pictures turned to code.

So I emailed it to myself to edit it using openoffice.  Now... I normally use ubuntu... but just incase I do not want to infect openoffice.  Is it possible for Avast! to remove the macro virus.

P.S tell me a safe way that I do not infect my computer (I got important and confidential files on it.)

The school computer use Microsoft Windows 98 and Microsoft office 2003.

I use a computer with a Windows Vista SP1, and Ubuntu 8.04 dual boot.  With openoffice (latest version).

CharleyO

Re: I think a macro virus infected my word document file WAHHH!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 09:51:30 AM »

Bump ...

and your school needs to seriously concider upgrading from W98 since it is no longer supported and is somewhat vulnerable these days.

(Oldman still uses W98 but I'm sure he is security savy enough to do so where as I doubt your school is.)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: I think a macro virus infected my word document file WAHHH!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 04:31:01 PM »
Please, send the files to www.virustotal.com to be sure they're clean.
If avast detects it, the macro could be removed (or all macro will be removed).
The best things in life are free.