Author Topic: How Do I Learn What the Good/Safe Files Are?  (Read 2848 times)

RobinG34

How Do I Learn What the Good/Safe Files Are?
« on: June 07, 2008, 09:48:30 PM »
This is an issue I'm having not only with Avast!, but just about every anti-virus, firewall, spyware/malware, etc. program I've run across.  I'll run a scan and the program will turn up files and directories that I don't recognize and 90% of the time, they're just regular Windows files and directories and everything is hunky dory, but I'm panicking because I don't know what the Recycler directory is, or cfmon.exe, or trirot.exe (all of which I understand are standard Windows files).

So, is there a website that lists all the Windows files and how to know if they're corrupted and I should be posting to you guys, running Hijack This and stressing out?

If I'm running Process Manager and it says cfmon.exe is running, how do I know that cfmon.exe should be doing just that when I have no clue what the heck it is?

Thanks, Anne B.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: How Do I Learn What the Good/Safe Files Are?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 10:44:26 PM »
Hello RobinG34,

Time to become an expert and install Freefixer from here: http://www.freefixer.com/download.html
and info from System Spyware Interrogator: http://www.spywaredata.com/spyware/spyware-adware-new.php

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 11:48:03 PM »
Are you sure it is cfmon.exe as there is a legit file with a similar name is ctfmon.exe ?

So if it is cfmon.exe it is likely to be trying to full you into thinking it is legit. You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 01:08:24 AM »
and info from System Spyware Interrogator:
Polonus, this is the first time I've heard about SSI.
Is it that good?
Can you compare it with Malwarebytes' Antimalware scanning?
The best things in life are free.