Author Topic: Outlook 2007 - No signature  (Read 2999 times)

UncleJohnsBand

Outlook 2007 - No signature
« on: June 07, 2008, 04:59:12 PM »
I am new to Avast....moving from AVG.  I am not seeing any Avast signature in my outgoing e-mails in Outlook 2007.  I have searched the forum and nothing seems to help me.

When Outlook 2007 starts up I see the pop-up for Avast Outlook/Exchange plug-in window appear.  If I look in tools/trust center/add-ins there is no Avast info in the com-plugins....there is an Avast 4 in the Exchange Client area and it is checked and there is nothing in the disabled add-ins.

Looking at many posts it tells me to look in the add-ins to make sure that the ashoutxt.dll is loaded....if I try to load this as an add-in Outlook 2007 indicates it is not a valid add-in.

I found the ashpopwz.exe file so I thought I would try that...it indicates not need to run since I am already protected.

I am assuming since I see the pop-up when outlook starts I am protected....incoming and outgoing.....is this a good assumption?

I would really like to have my outgoing e-mail stamped with a signature about the virus scanner....it is important to people I correspond with.

I have a mix of pop and IMAP accounts on my PC.  I am also running the MS Office Outlook Connector add-in that connects me to my Office Live e-mail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UJB

Windows XP SP2 (32 bit)
1 GB Ram
AMD Athlon 64 3200+

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Outlook 2007 - No signature
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 05:30:05 PM »
The ashpopwz.exe is for setting up pop3 email clients under win9x and winME so as it rightly siad it isn't needed.

I don't use MS Outlook so I can't speak from experience, but if the splash screen is displayed and the avast plug-in isn't disabled I would have though you were protected. You can check the Outlook/Exchange provider in avast and check the Last Scanned: and Scanned total: fields, these should constantly change if your email is being scanned.

Have you set it to be stamped ?
Outlook/Exchange, Customize..., Outbound Mail, 'Insert notes to clean (uninfected) messages.'

Insert Clean Notes - Personally I don't feel that the insertion of clean notes is very worth while.
Certainly doing it for inbound email is pointless as if it is infected all hell will break loose with a visual and audible alert so you will know. For outbound email it is more of a good advert for avast, but if the recipient is anything like me they won't trust any clean note as it can be inserted by 'anything.'  In fact there are a number of virus attacks that inserted an not that the email was scanned by a well known AV which shall remain nameless, this to lull recipients into a false sense of security.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 07:43:05 PM »
With Process Explorer and seeing the DLL on lower pane you can "see" the dll loaded.
But if you check into the providers settings, while MS Outlook is running, you'll see the active provider (plugin).
The best things in life are free.

UncleJohnsBand

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 03:38:36 AM »
Thanks guys.  I feel sooo silly......I hadn't turned on the option....   :o

Everything seems good now.

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 03:59:46 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Silly would have been not to ask ;D

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security