Author Topic: scheduler problem  (Read 3197 times)

smileyou00

scheduler problem
« on: June 08, 2008, 05:41:28 AM »
Hello!

I downloaded the avast pro edition from your official website. I'd like to use the "scheduler" to make my computer scanning scheduled. However, I met a problem.

I setup to run a fast scan at 9 am every Saturday.
But if I turn on the pc at 10 am for example ,the scheduler doesn't start and the scanning is missed.
That's a little inconvenient because if I want to make sure the weekly scanning is done and not missed, I must turn on the computer at a fixed time (before 9 a.m.) every Saturday. However, I've got used to turning on my pc at a random time, not fixedly. I'm forgetful, so I'm not used to switching on the pc scanning manually, Hence, I feel a little unhandy about the scheduler.

I think it's a little flaw of "scheduler". If the scanning would still work automatically even though I turn on the computer later than the pre-scheduled time, everything is perfect and that means more convenience for me!

Now is there any feasible way to help me solve this problem? Please help me, thanks! I don't want to be a "fixed" man.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: scheduler problem
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 08:50:46 AM »
Hi
Can't check Pro until next week (been waiting for someone else to answer  :-[ ) but isn't there an option to run the scan if the scheduled time is missed? - or at startup rather than at a particular time? You'd then have to stop it from the tray icon on the days you didn't wish it to run.

If not, is there a reason you don't just schedule the scan for later in or at the end of the day? It's your choice of course.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

smileyou00

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 10:09:02 AM »
Thank you.

You asked me  why I don't schedule the scan at a later time or at the end of the day.

Because the time I use the computer is not fixed.  Sometimes I use it at an earlier time, sometimes later.
If I make the schedule at 9 , then what if I turn on the computer at 10?
Similarly, if I make the schedule at 10 or later ,e.g, 18:00 etc, then what if I turn on the computer at 7 and turn off i t at 8:30?

There seems  no good way to solve this problem
There isn't an option to run the scan if the scheduled time is missed. :(

Seek for further help. Thanks!

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 10:53:42 AM »
Fair enough.  :)
My own preference is to scan at 18:30 each Wednesday after which avast! Pro shuts down the machine and I check the log the next morning but heh, I know this won't suit everyone.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 07:32:42 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 12:09:56 PM »
I do not use the pro version of avast.  I have no objection to it - but I support a bunch of folks on the Home version so I need to stay on that to understand what they see.

However, I suspect that this is an area in which the avast team has pretty much followed the way that Windows works in the "Scheduled Tasks" function.  This is exactly how you describe it; if your system is not running at the time of the scheduled function then - too bad - it will run at the next scheduled time.     

This is not an easy one to overcome.  For every user, like you, who says "if I turn my system on an hour later I want it to run" there will be another user to say "if I turn my system on an hour later I do not want it to run".  So then there needs to be another option developed that says "do you want it run if you turn on your system later ?".  Then there needs to be yet another option that says ... "do you want it to run if you turn on your system more than n hours later ?" ... then there needs to be the option for "what about when I have been on vacation for two weeks and not turned my system on" ... and so on.

Even though I can sympathize with a desire for more flexibility I can also understand why it is provided just the way it is.   

smileyou00

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 12:30:46 PM »
Thanks a lot for both of your reply. :)

I won't be too obsessed with this problem!

I will just use the manual scan whenever I want :), which is also convenient(just point C:, click the  right key of the mouse and choose "scan hard disk C:" :)).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 04:15:06 PM »
I miss that options too.
I miss an option to turn off the computer at the end of scanning automatically, into Scheduler options, and not just like it is today (you can check this option only after the scanning is running).

A screenshot to Home users  ;)
The best things in life are free.