Author Topic: v4.8 denies access to control of certain services  (Read 2563 times)

dfarns

v4.8 denies access to control of certain services
« on: June 08, 2008, 10:39:10 AM »
I like to use antivirus programs in manual mode only!  I usually reset any automatic services to manual so they, the AV programs, will only run when I want them to.  I also uncheck any processes set to startup when I reboot my computer. 

I was trying out v4.8 and discovered that I couldn't change two of the Avast services back to manual.  I wasn't allowed to.  I looked further into the Win2000 registry and found that I was denied access to some Avast keys, me...the administrator, denied access to the registry on my computer.  I tried to change the permissions, but was also denied access there.

It's possible that I missed something or don't know how to get around this denial.  Could someone let me know if there is a way to fix this problem.  If there is no way, and I am stuck with this "denial", please let me know also so I can do what I have to do.

Dan

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: v4.8 denies access to control of certain services
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 11:42:37 AM »
Program settings>troubleshooting tick "disable self protection" might do it.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 11:47:40 AM »
Just about everything you want to do to avast ... so would any malware writer wanting to take control of your system.

And they have been doing so - that is why the avast team have responded with the avast self-protection feature of avast 4.8.

To be frank, given your desire to compromise the ability of avast to function as designed then it may be that avast is not the right product for you.  It is not designed as an "on demand" scan anti-virus product and your efforts to make it so may lead to frustration.

You can turn off the avast self-defense function via the "Program Settings" > Troubleshooting panel.  This will allow you to make the changes you want ... but it may be unsafe to assume that further self protection features (that are considered desirable by the overwhelming majority of the avast community) will not cause you further frustration.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 04:17:56 PM »
I like to use antivirus programs in manual mode only!
avast is not for you... use Bitdefender or Clam antivirus on-demand.
But if you disable the self-protection, change the services startup status, enable self-protection again, maybe it works until next avast update (repairing the original services startup status).
The best things in life are free.