Author Topic: Help! not as clever as i thought i was  (Read 5255 times)

mumgonenuts

Help! not as clever as i thought i was
« on: March 31, 2004, 06:45:34 PM »
 :'(

Kept getting emails with virus attachements so downloaded avast and i have trojans??  but after scanning all my files found about 8 i clicked on delete but when last page came up only 1 had been deleted againt other 7 it said error occured during file deleting:AC i tried clicking on each individual and then on delete but just made PC freeze.

Please help, thought i new a bit about computers but decided i know nothing.

Thanks in advance

shgoh

Re:Help! not as clever as i thought i was
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 02:51:55 AM »
did you try to tick on the option that say something like 'delete after reboot if necessary'??

maybe you can give it a try... ;)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 02:55:40 AM by shgoh »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 12:35:48 AM »
The unpleasantness may have installed itself as a Process in which case the file is locked and cannot be deleted.

Start task manager and click on processes. If you can find the name of the offending file in the process kill the process and then delete the file with a dos box, windows explorer or use try avast again.

Might be worth looking in the registry startup section to see if an entry has been made to start the thing automatically. If so delete this entry if Avast hasn't done it for you.

Cheers

Chris

mumgonenuts

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 05:30:32 PM »
Thanks will tr your sugestions

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 04:38:20 AM »
mumgonenuts, is your system ok now?
Can we help you more?
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 08:39:35 AM »
Mum,

When Avast generates the report, it names the path to the infected file.  This is important information because you can "follow" the path from the DOS prompt, or through Windows and delete it manually.  Then you can run Avast again to see if there are any "leftovers".

The fact that the pc freezes and gives you the "error in deleting" message does indicate that the virus or trojan has now become a process as Newey suggested.
Stopping the process and rerunning Avast should allow you to delete it.

We can offer recommendations on Trojan and Spyware prevention later on after things are cleaned up.

Let us know how you do.

Techie

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004, 06:56:27 PM »
also try spybot search and destroy. it has an extensive trojan database
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay