Author Topic: Boot-Time Scan bug report  (Read 3585 times)

rloschmann

Boot-Time Scan bug report
« on: April 22, 2004, 10:05:28 AM »
First, thank you for releasing the french version !!  ;D

The 2 bugs i report here were in version 4.1.357 and still in 4.1.389  :(

Computer :
AMD 1800+
512 MB RAM
NFORCE2 Mother Board (NVIDIA IDE drivers installed)
2 HDD (4 GB & 30 GB)
Windows 2000 pro SP4 (FR)

First bug :
The boot-time scan ignores the exclusions set in the settings, ie it scans even excluded folders.

Second bug :
The boot-time scan sort of corrupt the PAGEFILE.SYS (the swap file). When windows boot after a scan it says something like "swap file corrupted, a temporary swap file have been created". I have the swap file on the second HDD (not in C: where Windows is installed).
Is it a normal behavior that avast! scans the swap file and why does it get corrupted ?

Hope this post will help improve such a great software.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Boot-Time Scan bug report
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 10:53:40 AM »
First bug :
The boot-time scan ignores the exclusions set in the settings, ie it scans even excluded folders.

That's a feature. It's not only exclusions, it's also the alerts etc. -- in short, the global avast settings are not taken into account by the boot-time scan. This behavior is by design.. ;) :P

Second bug :
The boot-time scan sort of corrupt the PAGEFILE.SYS (the swap file). When windows boot after a scan it says something like "swap file corrupted, a temporary swap file have been created". I have the swap file on the second HDD (not in C: where Windows is installed).

Hmm, unless there's a virus avast opens all files in read-only mode so I quite don't know how it could damage the file...

Does this happen every time you run the scan?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

rloschmann

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 12:14:14 PM »
I'm not sure that not taking into account the exclusions is a good feature. I have a folder with eicar.com samples (different zipping and encoding) and i get alerts for this folder at each boot scan (annoying).

For the damaged swap file, Yes it happens at each boot scan.

The only virus it detects is the eicar.com test file i have in the special test folder (it's not in the swap drive partition).

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 12:28:26 PM »
Well, I think that Boot-time scan is not intended to be used as everyday scanner - it is the tool to make the clean scan in case of some problems/infections etc. Therefore it does not use the standard avast! settings but has its own (and reports evrything it founds)...

Pavel

rloschmann

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 02:07:45 PM »
Yes of course ! I don't use it everyday but when i want to scan all my disks (once a week) i prefere the boot scan which is much faster then the windows scanner.

love the product anyway...  ;)