Author Topic: Virtual machine question  (Read 3112 times)

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Free your soul and let it fly
Virtual machine question
« on: June 11, 2008, 12:08:13 AM »
A few questions regarding virtual machines as ive said before the old laptop I was working off of pretty much died on me and am in the process of saving up money for a new laptop and am building my own desktop right now im working off of my parents desktop but on it I feel constrained.. really constrained so Ive decided to set up a virtual machine that I can work off of with Windows XP now my question is how much RAM and disk space should I dedicate to it? this desktop of my parents (sadly) only comes with 448 mb of Ram and the C: drive has 65gb free space and the D: 7gb of free space

thanks

Justin
Avast!  2014 beta - Sandboxie - K9 Web Protection

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Virtual machine question
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 01:40:41 AM »
how much RAM and disk space should I dedicate to it? this desktop of my parents (sadly) only comes with 448 mb of Ram and the C: drive has 65gb free space and the D: 7gb of free space
I would give it at least 200-256Mb of RAM and 10-15Gb on drive C.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 01:41:04 AM »
thanks Tech

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 01:47:49 AM »
thanks Tech
You're welcome... anyway, the guesses were based in my old Virtual Machines work. Indeed, you should have at least 1Gb of RAM to run XP virtually + normal usage at the same time. The virtual machine will run very very slow and the main machine (host) either...

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 02:02:45 AM »
ouch I guess not then, I just wanted to create one cause me I like to tweak things to work how I like and experiment as well with Avast! and such but for some odd reason I cant convince my dad to switch for Norton no matter how many times I tell him its bad, but I cant do any of that on this PC because well its not mine

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 02:06:57 AM »
ouch I guess not then, I just wanted to create one cause me I like to tweak things to work how I like and experiment as well with Avast! and such but for some odd reason I cant convince my dad to switch for Norton no matter how many times I tell him its bad, but I cant do any of that on this PC because well its not mine
Definitively you won't be able (comfortable) to run Virtual Machine + Norton + virtual avast...
Too few RAM.

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 02:08:39 AM »
Yeah I agree, Its sad though because my old 2002 laptop had 512mb of ram so every time I look at this desktop I cant help but just ask the question "what were they thinking?"