Author Topic: New Avast user...  (Read 5668 times)

Daddy0h

New Avast user...
« on: July 29, 2008, 02:19:35 AM »
I am trying to migrate from AVG to Avast. I uninstalled AVG and downloaded/installed the latest and greatest Avast and had nothing but problems. I would like to get my avast install going so I don't desert the camp, but it is making my internet surfing impossible. Here are the symptoms:
When I sign up in flickr I get redirected to a page that says I need to enable cookies. Cookies are enabled and browser has a folder for them but still... no dice, I have to backdoor it.
Also, when in flickr, I can see my main page but when I click the link to see my photos I get redirected to a page that shows my photos but as if I was not signed in.
I don't know what is the "behavior" name, or the root cause, but I would very much apreciate some help.
Also, I downloaded another license for my kids computer (which is also useless now in the net) and I need to know if Avast can be set with a minimum of babysitting requirements so my children can use their computer without me constantly having to be there to grant permissions.
Our setup:
(Both computers)
WinXP Pro
Firefox 3.0.1
Zonelabs Zonealarm firewall.

Any help will be appreciated!!

ardvark

Re: New Avast user...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:08:28 AM »
Also, I downloaded another license for my kids computer (which is also useless now in the net) and I need to know if Avast can be set with a minimum of babysitting requirements so my children can use their computer without me constantly having to be there to grant permissions.

Hi...

You might be thinking avast has a firewall component which it does not, so you shouldn't be getting any pop-ups wanting you to grant permissions. The only pop-ups you should see are any virus alerts and update notices. This has been my experience.

Just to clarify, did these problems start after you uninstalled AVG? I wouldn't think the problems you list would accompany the uninstall of an AV program. ???

Best Regards...

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 09:39:53 AM »
Really strange !!

avast! has no firewall or parental control function or the other characteristics that you describe. There is a known conflict between ZoneAlarm and a recent MS security update. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=36912.0

Does this thread correlate at all to your experience?
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Daddy0h

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 04:50:27 AM »
OK... maybe I did npt explained myself properly:
I used to have AVG 7.5. Upgraded to 8.0and change and I started having problems with it, so I switched to Avast.
Avast, after the installation and while finishing the setup, tells you that there is an incompatibility with Zonealarm and that you need to set the transparent proxy server when working in sites such as web mail. Did that and got the program to work there, but then I went to flickr, which is a site for photographers. I signed up and instead of being directed to my profile, i got directed to a page that said that I need to enable cookies and wasn't able to sign in! The problem is that cookies are already enabled. So... I found a way to get to my profile
and when I wanted to look at my photostream, it directed me to my photostream but logged out, as if I was a visitor.
I can't tell you if this happens in any other site because I do not do a lot of web surfing, but it does it here, which is one of the very few sites I visit.
So... do I need to set some kind of permission in the program???

my setup

Firefox 3.0.1
Zone Alarm firewall
Winxp pro SP2

ardvark

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 03:49:05 AM »
Hi...

I'm not sure what I can suggest here other than seeing if this still occurs with ZA or Avast disabled. I'm a bit puzzled as avast has nothing to do with cookie management or the kind of permissions you're speaking of. ???

If it turns out that ZA is the problem and you want to keep avast, Comodo is another firewall I've dealt with that seems to work with avast.

Best Regards...

wyrmrider

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 04:35:53 AM »
cookies can get disabled not only in your browser but also in anti-spyware products, privacy protectors, win-patrol etc
running any of them?

olddog

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 03:39:17 PM »
 Daddy0h,

I notice you are using Firefox 3.0.1 which is fairly new - any chance you updated to this version around the time the problem started?

Daddy0h

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 07:20:08 PM »
I went back to AVG 7.5 and all works as it should... that tells me that there is either some incompatibility with one of my existing prods (ZA, Spybot S&D, ) or I need to set Avast up properly.
I will try Comodo to see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion.

wyrmrider

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 09:41:41 PM »
when you go to remove avg again go to

http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallavg.shtml

http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallavast.shtml
run the avast remover

http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe
THEN
(eventhoug you do not have antivir)
Using the AntiVir Registry Cleaner

If for some reason the normal uninstall does not work, you may have to download AntiVir's registry cleaner utility to remove all traces of it from the registry and allow you to reinstall it.

1) Click on the following link and download the AntiVir Registry Cleaner to your desktop

http://dl.antivir.de/down/windows/registrycleaner.zip

2) Create a folder on your desktop called Antivir and Unzip the file to your desktop
3) Double-click on the file called RegCleaner.exe to run it

4) Since the program is German, you'll have to click on the button called "keys asulesen" to search the registry for any issues. Then place checkmarks next to the registry entries you wish to delete.

5) Finally, click on the button called "loschen" to delete the keys

6) Restart your computer and try to reinstall your antivirus

let us know what fragments and mouse tracks it finds

also run Secunia Advisor and get all your programs (especially Java, Office, and Adobe) up to date

olddog

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 04:27:36 AM »
Daddy0h,

With due respect to wyrmrider, I would not personally recommend taking the course of action he describes in the last line of his post and start updating programs all over the place. When a specific problem occurs, the less you change the easier it is to sort out the original cause of the problem.

When/if you get Avast installed again, and if the same problem exists, can you please advise whether it is the same if you use Internet Explorer as it is when you use Firefox.

Can you then try temporarily turning off just the Avast Web shield. Left click on the "a" ball, click on the Details button at the bottom of the box, scroll the shield icons in the left column until you find the Web Shield Icon. Click on it, then click on Terminate, the click on Yes to "Persist the Changes". Can you now advise whether this has made any difference to the problem. Providing the Standard shield is left running you will still have reasonable protection whilst you try this.

What version of Spybot are you running - if it is before 1.5 there are some issues that will need addressing before long (though unlikely to have anything to do with this problem), however if it is either 1.5 or the current 1.6 it should not cause any problems with Avast (I have been running Spybot and Avast together through a number of version changes without any problems). Can you have a look at the immunisation screen though in Spybot, and check whether there is any group of immunisations that are ticked but have not immunised. If for instance one of the cookie groups hasn't immunised, it can indicate that another program (outside of Spybot) has control of that item.

Please post back when you've tried this