Author Topic: How to Un-Quarantine  (Read 11949 times)

aboone27

How to Un-Quarantine
« on: June 13, 2008, 05:36:41 AM »
When going to a genealogy site via an icon on my desktop I inadvertently hit quarantine when an alert box from Avast came up. When I did so Avast disabled the shortcut access on destop that I use. How can I take the quarantine off?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: How to Un-Quarantine
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 04:51:39 PM »
Right click the 'a' blue icon, open avast Chest, choose the folder at left, right click the file and click restore them.
It will be good if you scan it before restoring it. Are you sure it's clean?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 06:13:25 PM »
The avast chest isn't on the right click menu by default if you remember Tech you have to add it to the avast4.ini file in the [AAVM} section, add the line ShowChestInMenu=1.

So aboone27 would have to run the simple user interface and then open the chest from the right click menu or edit the avast4.ini file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 01:05:51 AM »
The avast chest isn't on the right click menu by default if you remember Tech you have to add it to the avast4.ini file in the [AAVM] section, add the line ShowChestInMenu=1.
I think it's there by default ??? You don't have to add that line, it's hardcoded, am I wrong?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 02:39:01 AM »
Well I'm sure we have had this discussion before in the forums and on checking in my avast4.ini there is an entry ShowChestInMenu=1 in the AAVM section, which doesn't indicate it is a hard coded default option.

I believe the new default addition was the right click menu is the Log Viewer (not in the avast4.ini) and not the Chest. Check it out.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

aboone27

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 03:59:59 AM »
Well, it should be simple, everything is "user-friendly" . . . right? I'm not computer literate but it's probably a common error, something that should take a couple clicks to undo. Tech's directions are direct, but it doesn't work that way. Right clicking the Avast icon gets a menu. However I finally did get to something that looks like an old car radio w/a chest on it. Clicked the chest & did find a menu w/Restore on it, but it was unaccessible (not highlighted).

DavidR is beyond my computer knowledge, dunno what you're talking about.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 02:49:30 PM »
I was talking to Tech as his instruction as you found is incorrect as the option to get direct to the chest isn't on the right click menu of the avast icon. Yes I too believe it should be there along with direct access to the help file as that too is buried deeper within the Simple User Interface (the car radio you mentioned).

You have to have selected a file to restore before the option in the Menu would be active, see images (no file selected and file selected). If you have gone to the trouble of highlighting/selecting the file it is just as simple to right click on the file and choose the restore option from there.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 08:33:30 PM »
Well I'm sure we have had this discussion before in the forums and on checking in my avast4.ini there is an entry ShowChestInMenu=1 in the AAVM section, which doesn't indicate it is a hard coded default option.
I can be wrong, but this is not the reason. Other hardcoded options are write down on avast4.ini file as well. The fact you have the entry does not mean, by itself, it's not a default.

aboone27

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 09:06:33 PM »
Thanks for the instructions DavidR. Followed them but never did get the ability (highlighted) to Restore as is shown in your example. I have no 'Infected Files' to restore. I have nothing in 'User Files'. I have three from 2006 in 'System Files'. None of the files or the 'All Chest Files' gives me the ability (highlighted) to Restore. The only options open are the Refresh All Files (F5) and Email to ALWIL software . . . right clicking on a file gets a 'Small Icon' or 'Large Icon' option, right clicking on the word File in the tool bar gets a 'Tool Bar' or 'Status Bar' option. I don't know why such a common problem should be so difficult to remedy. "User Friendly" is a bit of sarcasm. Nor have I found a way to communicate with Avast. They do not make it easy. If it were not for the fact that I fear losing all of my genealogy work I would flush the whole system.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 09:53:50 PM »
I have three from 2006 in 'System Files'.
They're there for backup purposes.

Nor have I found a way to communicate with Avast. They do not make it easy.
Well, asking in the forums is a way to learn and get in contact ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 10:26:08 PM »
Thanks for the instructions DavidR. Followed them but never did get the ability (highlighted) to Restore as is shown in your example. I have no 'Infected Files' to restore. I have nothing in 'User Files'. I have three from 2006 in 'System Files'.

You have to be able to click on a file to be able to highlight/select it and enable the Restore option. You shouldn't attempt to restore the back-ups. hat surprises me is your mention of the fact that you quarantined (move to chest?) yet that file does't appear in the Infected Files section of the chest, now that is a mystery.

None of the files or the 'All Chest Files' gives me the ability (highlighted) to Restore. The only options open are the Refresh All Files (F5) and Email to ALWIL software . . . right clicking on a file gets a 'Small Icon' or 'Large Icon' option, right clicking on the word File in the tool bar gets a 'Tool Bar' or 'Status Bar' option.

The All Files entries are just a collation of the three main sections, it isn't actually a section in its own right.

I don't know why such a common problem should be so difficult to remedy. "User Friendly" is a bit of sarcasm. Nor have I found a way to communicate with Avast. They do not make it easy. If it were not for the fact that I fear losing all of my genealogy work I would flush the whole system.

It isn't that much of a common problem or it would be many topic about it in the forums.

I don't know how you have been trying to communicate or to who you have been trying to contact. Alwil are usually quite responsive on the support (at) avast dot com, however there have been times when replies are deleted by spam ISP filters (now that is common, as there are many questions about not receiving registrations keys).

As Tech said the forums are by far the easiest way to get a response.