Author Topic: Avast has fallen and can't get up  (Read 3248 times)

imortyl pussycat

Avast has fallen and can't get up
« on: January 28, 2011, 01:44:27 AM »
new here and need help. AV8 got in despite Avast and Malwarebytes. Avast showed nothing after scanning so I did a sys restore. Now, I see a message that I have no virus protection in my tray and when I open Avast it says it is unsecured and service has stopped. When I try to hit "fix" or "start" the window (i'm in windows 7)to allow changes by awil appears but when I click yes nothing happens....over and over and over. I can't bring up any of the shields for the same reason. How can I force Avast back on to get the virus out???? am I screwed?

:'( :'( :'(,
julie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast has fallen and can't get up
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 02:01:33 AM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

carnwath

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 12:18:47 AM »
Try going to Control Panel Add/Remove programs and in Avast Install/Remove choose Repair.
After about 20 seconds of Avast DLLs and program modules flashing in the repair box, Avast announces it is functional and the Orange(used to be Blue?) Avast ball will appear in the system tray and its fixed.

For all the wrong reasons I am running XP on a remote vpn connection to a corporate host who demand my pc be setup in a unique way with a specific version of java and AVG anti-virus.  I have stopped AVG running but the corporate site sees my AVG folder and allows me to work even though I have Avast 5.1889 installed.

I do from time to time use this computer to Google Images and today for the second time since Jan 1 2011 in visiting a site to download a gif I was attacked and had a mock Windows Explorer pop up and start running a "diagnostic" for me. I ran Task Manager and did a shutdown but on re-boot Avast was OFF and unsecured. Clicking Avast Secure does nothing, Avast Ball has an X in it, hence the repair mentioned above. That's twice now I have had a malware take-over which halted Avast and prevented a re-start of Avast on power-up   Running a full on-boot scan did not find any viruses and CCCleaner found no malware.

Thought you might like to know.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 12:22:18 AM by carnwath »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 12:30:44 AM »
Running a full on-boot scan did not find any viruses and CCCleaner found no malware
CCleaner is not a malware program.....

For all the wrong reasons I am running XP on a remote vpn connection to a corporate host who demand my pc be setup in a unique way with a specific version of java and AVG anti-virus.  I have stopped AVG running but the corporate site sees my AVG folder and allows me to work even though I have Avast 5.1889 installed.
Installing two AV program will create all kinds of mysterious windows errors and false positive detections..

Never install two antivirus (see reply from quietman7)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?s=7c8217673a726b92cfc91ecfd4294a29&showtopic=260844&view=findpost&p=1441638