Author Topic: Avast 4.8 Home - How To CXL Prev Scan Results  (Read 6938 times)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Avast 4.8 Home - How To CXL Prev Scan Results
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 11:36:26 AM »
Beats me. I've heard of files at Cnet being infected, but never experienced it myself. I guess it's possible.
IMHO, this http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html is the only place one should really download Avast Home from. And generally, for most software, I think it's a good idea to download it from the author's website, although sometimes hosting is provided only via a mirror, such as Cnet or Majorgeeks. These are usually safe to download from, in my experience.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 02:12:32 PM »
I had already deleted this worm, but still the "freezing."
It does not only freeze, it destroys. avast won't be working...

WHAT IF THE FILE ITSELF IS INFECTED?
I don't think CNET link (and file) are infected. Maybe after installed something corrupted your avast installation or even just glitches. A new installation seems to have solved the problem.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 02:55:09 PM »
I feel you can trust CNet not to have infected source (after all avast.com provides a link to it for the English version), but personally I would always get it directly from avast.com, just scroll down the list and find the English version that can be downloaded from avast.com servers.

However I'm a little confused by this, as you to obviously were:
Quote from: Raymond_67
I found a page at avast website where I could download the freeware DIRECT. It turned out
 to be single language versions only. Whilst installing, I saw to my dismay; "Home Edition Pro."
 But after installation, when I checked "Advanced" it said the usual; "Only for Pro versions."

As I said it is the English version only that can be downloaded from that link to CNet. Checking the Switch to Enhanced User Interface (not I believe Advanced as you state) from the Simple User Interface (SUI) menu will state that it is only available with the Pro version (see image) and not with the Home free version, we have to use the SUI. So all in all no strange happening.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security