Author Topic: Avast Home will not open  (Read 2497 times)

hsherman

Avast Home will not open
« on: June 14, 2008, 03:27:50 PM »
OS is Vista HP.  Avast 4 Home Free edition.  Vista displays error message stating to the effect that it cannot run ashdisp.exe due to being unable to find aswcmns.dll.  Have been using Avast for years and this is the first problem...just occured today.  Any ideas other than re-installation?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Home will not open
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 03:46:49 PM »
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

If that doesn't work try, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hsherman

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 01:21:34 PM »
DavidR:  Thanks for your reply.  Tried "Repair" with no success.  Tried to uninstall but Vista and/or Avast would not allow this.  Dowloaded ASWclear.exe from Avast site which allowed me to uninstall Avast. Then downloaded Avast (nearly 2 hours on dialup!) and reinstalled.  All OK now.  Not sure what caused the problem, but suspect it might have been a Vista update (MS Malicious Software Removal Tool) that was installed just prior to the problem with Avast. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 01:44:12 PM »
All OK now.
Glad you've succeed!

Not sure what caused the problem, but suspect it might have been a Vista update (MS Malicious Software Removal Tool) that was installed just prior to the problem with Avast. 
Really strange... there shouldn't be any problem with this MS tool (and update) and avast... ???
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 02:38:35 PM »
DavidR:  Thanks for your reply.  Tried "Repair" with no success.  Tried to uninstall but Vista and/or Avast would not allow this.  Dowloaded ASWclear.exe from Avast site which allowed me to uninstall Avast. Then downloaded Avast (nearly 2 hours on dialup!) and reinstalled.  All OK now.  Not sure what caused the problem, but suspect it might have been a Vista update (MS Malicious Software Removal Tool) that was installed just prior to the problem with Avast. 

You're welcome, glad I could help.

I'm on dial-up and it doesn't take me anything close to 2 hours, did you download it from the avast.com servers ?
If you used the cnet link or other download sites, there are times their servers are very busy.

Happily things are OK now, which is the most important thing.

Personally I don't use the MS Malicious software tool, but if you do you have to be on your toes for anything it detects.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security