Author Topic: avast says theres a virus in divx installer  (Read 19919 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast says theres a virus in divx installer
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 01:03:51 PM »
<snip>
Can we consider Yahoo and Google toolbars as spywares? I personally consider Google spyware by all the means of their enterprise practices. And you?

I don't use anyone's toolbars I don't find the need and I'm sure they all gather information for marketing purposes, what that data is and if it is anonymous is the question. Since they aren't too forthcoming about what might be gathered I stay clear of them all.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 01:25:26 PM »
the point i was getting at is why dose avast have to flag a legit program just because it has a optional toolbar install. i contacted the boys at divx and no divx is not spyware. they said that avast is falsely identifying it as such because of its optional yahoo toolbar wish they pointed out to me that thousands of users use each day. so weather it be spyware i don't care i personally don't use toolbars but the fact remains is its a false positive and should be removed from detections. anyhow weather avast choses to remove this is up to them i have no problem now that the update is installed and working. it no-longer detects this as its not installed.

The problem being, avast doesn't know if you are going to choose that option and since it is a signature based detection it is going to hiccup when it finds that signature, no matter where it is.

You say the fact remains it is a false positive, well that isn't a fact.

What I would like to know is why a divx installer needs with the yahoo toolbar in the first place. My suggested answer is money, as they would be getting a referral/affiliate fee for each time someone chooses to install the toolbar. Why would they get paid because the information gathered is valuable to the toolbar's owner yahoo.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 01:23:36 AM »
Can we consider Yahoo and Google toolbars as spywares? I personally consider Google spyware by all the means of their enterprise practices. And you?
No, they're not spywares. You can disable annonimous statistics there are sent in some cases.
The best things in life are free.