Author Topic: Need Firewall  (Read 5187 times)

Nikilet

Need Firewall
« on: June 14, 2008, 09:42:33 AM »
I have the paid version of AVG 8.0 Anti Virus with Firewall. I started out with 7.5 and had no problems with it. Ever since updating to 8.0 I've had nothing but problems and it apparently does no good to write to AVG tech support because all you get is the standard acknowledgement email and nothing more. I decided to switch to Avast, but now I'd like to have a firewall other than Windows. Can anyone make any good suggestions? I am running Vista Home Premium and Webroot SpySweeper.

zheke01

Re: Need Firewall
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 09:48:06 AM »
Comodo firewall pro
Zone Alarm

this two firewalls are free.

try one of this.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 01:36:54 PM »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

maybeok0

Re: Free Comodo Pro Firewall
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 04:38:25 PM »
Hi,
You have not mentioned your Windows opperating program?

Do have a read within their Web Site

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html

They list only suitable for Windows XP - Vista and 2000

I would recommend to download and install only the Version 2.4

You can try the Version 3.0 in of which I found was too sophisticated

Regards

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 05:49:42 PM »
He did mention his OS.

<snip>
I am running Vista Home Premium and Webroot SpySweeper.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nikilet

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 07:47:49 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the info. On one of the links provided I read that Commodo 2.4 tested better than 3.0; however, according to the link given for Commodo the 3.0 is for Vista and the 2.4 isn't. I'm downloading 3.0 right now to try.

I have another question. I am connected through high speed DSL and up until a couple of nights ago when things went really haywire with my computer due to the AVG, everything worked real fast including downloading programs. Now, downloading a program is taking 3 or 4 times longer. This Commodo would have been done downloading by now several nights ago. Now it's only 30% done. I'm obviously not a computer tech. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this? My Internet connection seems to be fast enough. It's just the downloading situation that has deteriorated.

Thanks

Nikilet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 12:21:14 AM »
It apparently does no good to write to AVG tech support because all you get is the standard acknowledgement email and nothing more.
You've discover the lack of support from Grisoft... another reason that I've gave up on AVG a long time ago...

Now, downloading a program is taking 3 or 4 times longer. This Commodo would have been done downloading by now several nights ago.
For some users the only way is changing to PCTools firewall.
The best things in life are free.

maybeok0

Hi to NIKILET = Re: Need Firewall
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 06:36:09 AM »
Do Read  the Comodo Manual! [Can Download and then read]
Web Page URL

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/Comodo_Firewall_Pro_3.0_User_Guide.pdf

Please Note! I have only Installed the Comodo to use only "Just the Firewall". This is referred to on the page No 14 Comodo User Guide

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PS
Have added the below
When during installing the Free Comodo 3.0 you have the option to  install their full program setup of the  Firewall with Defence + (Recommended) [Defence against Malware.....????]"  or  only to install  your computer with a "Basic Firewall"
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The "Recommended install looks like it configures Comodo "Firewall with Defence + (Recommended) [Defence against Malware.....????]"

I would like some comments from AVAST re if one installs the Comodo "Firewall with Defence + (Recommended) [Defence against Malware.....????]"

I feel Avast may have programming  relating to  Malware blocking

Comments please
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 09:55:42 AM by maybeok0 »

ashu

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 07:20:51 AM »
Comodo is a great firewall but can be a bit confusing AND irritating with Defense+ on. You should consider turning off that feature (requires a system reboot) or simply NOT check-boxing it during installation. :)

tevion

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 08:51:54 AM »
hi nikilet
this personal firewall could be interresting you: vista firewall control - http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html
I believe it was already noticed somewhere in the forums.
Disadvantage against other here described programs is you have to pay for it to get fully functionality.
I by myself use it since six months without problems although i have had to struggle with english GUI at the beginning
(english is not my native language  ;D )
tevion

wsx123

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 06:41:15 PM »
Hi, I use Windows Xp home SP3 and counting. I use free Avast with the Sunbelt-Kerio firewall and have no problems at all-very simple to use. In fact you can get the paid version for $9.95 now that includes host based intrusion prevention (a good thing). I tried free zone alarm and Comodo and had trouble with both.
Here's a link to Sunbelt-Kerio http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Home-Home-Office/Sunbelt-Personal-Firewall/