Author Topic: Avast speaks no more  (Read 7009 times)

Norm_au

Avast speaks no more
« on: June 14, 2008, 03:33:25 AM »
Hi, I hope this is in the right place, I am running xp home edition and Avast has been great since I have been using it, but my computer recently has stopped telling me when Avast has updated its self, or when it finds a trojan, if im not looking at the screen when it detects something then I miss it, could you please help me in reloacating Avasts voice  :)

neal62

Re: Avast speaks no more
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 05:32:00 AM »
Right click on the Avast Icon in the lower right hand corner of your pc. Left click on the "program settings" option. Then left click on the "sounds" option. You should see a box that says "Disable avast sounds". Make sure this box is not checked.

ardvark

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 07:13:46 AM »
Hi, I hope this is in the right place, I am running xp home edition and Avast has been great since I have been using it, but my computer recently has stopped telling me when Avast has updated its self, or when it finds a trojan, if im not looking at the screen when it detects something then I miss it, could you please help me in reloacating Avasts voice  :)

Hi...

So you have been infected before with this copy of avast? Your situation looks suspicious in terms of viral activity.

In addition to Neal's suggestion, if you're using Windows XP or Vista, open up Internet Explorer and go here...

http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

and perform and online malware scan. You will need to accept the ActiveX control if it asks. Delete anything (particularly if it appears with a red circle to the left of the entry,) it finds.

Please make a copy of the report and post back here with the results. :)

Best Regards...

Norm_au

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 12:51:55 PM »
Hi Neal63 & ardvark, thanks for your replies, neal, I have used Avast for some years now and this has never come across my path before, I do know where the option you speak of is and have already checked it, it is still unticked, so all good there, and ardvark, I got enough anti malware stuff on my comp to sink a battle ship lol, but I will do as you ask and post the results, just so you know what I got running here is my list.

Ad-Aware 2007
Ad-Watch 2007
spybot search & destroy
ccleaner
regcure
registry mechanic
peerguardian
spywareguard
spywareblaster &
IObits Advanced windows care

I know probably a bit of over kill, but I do so hate malware, and eradicate it every chance I get, I will be back with the log.   Peace

Norm . . .

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 02:45:06 PM »
Haven't inadvertently changed your sound scheme, ave you?
Right click the speaker icon, select "adjust audio properties", select "sounds", scroll down to the Avast settings, check that the entries are present and correct. (Mine is non-standard, BTW. The standard is "vpsupd.wav")
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 03:52:45 PM »
Before getting to the Settings Targ57 mentions, ensure you haven't checked the Disable avast! sounds.

Also ensure that you haven't checked Silent mode in Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced (unlikely as this is also linked to the visual display).

Are other sounds working on your system ?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Norm_au

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 04:28:57 PM »
Ok, firstly, thank you all for your help in this matter, I feel some what embarrassed :-[ but the prize goes to "Tarq57"  you da man, I didn't even think about looking in there, one of my programs picked up a " soundman.exe " and it was in red so I assumed it was a nasty, I got rid of it, didn't notice right away that the sound wasn't going on Avast, but any way long story short, all the Avast stuff was unticked in sounds, thanks again for all your help guy's your a cool bunch of fella's and shiella's if there is any  :)  Peace & Blessings to you all.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 02:34:20 AM »
Glad to have helped.
Soundman.exe is part of the Realtek sound drivers, and the recommendation is to disable if not needed.It is no threat, however, just taking a small resource footprint if allowed to run at startup, and occupying space in the system tray, with a distinctive blue icon.
See http://searchtasks.answersthatwork.com/tasklist.php?File=Soundman
Be somewhat interested in knowing what program flagged it.

Norm_au

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 08:04:01 AM »
The program that grabbed it was built by IObit and is called "Advanced Windows Care" http://www.iobit.com/  it is a very good program and does wonders for your comp, but if you go to the link and suss it out you can make your own mind up, id like to hear what you think actually if thats ok.  Peace & Blessings

Norm . . . 

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 11:55:14 AM »
Advanced Windows Care...so happens I already have it. Pretty good program, though I've never relied on it for its antispy/protection features. (I presume it was the antispy scan that flagged Soundman?)
I'm a little cautious about applying all the reg and optimize settings available, though, especially without making a backup, or setting a restore point first. It's reg cleaner seems a tad too thorough to me. And some of the settings flagged for optimization have been set the way they are by me, for a reason, so I don't want it to change them.
I think that if you're not using any other tweaking program, or applying your own tweaks, it's probably very good, and all you'd need.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 02:02:09 PM »
Does anybody know why AWC make advertisement of AVG from Grisoft?
Does iObit belong to Grisoft?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 10:58:54 PM »
Appears Iobit have a business relationship with Grisoft. The offer appears to be for a full featured "extended trial" of the security suite, for 60 or 90 days depending on what is installed.http://www.mmdnewswire.com/iobit-announces-tht-free-downlod-licensed-avg-anti-virus-pressil-avilble-2944-2.html and http://www.iobit.com/avg-com.html
(Don't think I'll be rushing into it.)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 11:20:34 PM »
Appears Iobit have a business relationship with Grisoft.
If Grisoft buys iObit, bye-bye good and free applications...
The best things in life are free.