Author Topic: Boot/Shutdown problems after install  (Read 6940 times)

geoff915

Boot/Shutdown problems after install
« on: June 15, 2008, 07:58:25 PM »
I just installed the latest version w/ virus database. Now I'm having sever boot & shutdown problems.

Shutdown just doesn't happen. The shutdown sequence hangs and I have to physically hit the switch.

On bootup, the whole boot sequence turns to molasses after the desktop first fires up. The first time, my Powerpro toolbar didn't show up at all. On subsequent tries, PowerPro gets started, but then hangs... along with several other programs. I've noticed that the problem occurs when the e-mail scanner tries to start (which it shouldn't be doing since my e-mail client hasn't even been started). That startup process hangs, and causes Vista Start Menu to spike my CPU to 50% (100% of one of the two cores, really). At that point, it's a tedious process just to get the computer restarted.

For the time being, I've set everything to "on demand" rather than auto startup, and things are back to normal. I'm on an HP dv9000 laptop with XP Media Center/SP2. Also running Comodo Firewall.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have. I'd like to get it working properly.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Boot/Shutdown problems after install
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 08:56:52 PM »
Which was your old antivirus? How did you uninstall it?
Maybe some bad interaction with Comodo and Defense+ filters... I've tried them on Vista and gave up. Returned to Vista firewall only.

Is there any useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'?
The best things in life are free.

geoff915

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 09:20:29 PM »
I know firewalls often cause problems, but I have to use something. All the others I've tried have either left me open or had serious software conflicts. I assume lots of other users have Comodo as well, so there must be a way to get them to "play nice" together.

I was previously using AVG 7, but not as a real-time AV. Up until now, I've only been doing "on demand." So AVG is actually still installed (as well as AntiVir), but none of them are active unless I call them up (all modules set to "manual" in Services, only the right-click shell extensions for on-demand scans are loaded at startup).

I'm not using Vista. I'm on XP Media Center (Pro) with SP2, so the built-in firewall is inadequate. The potential conflict I noticed was with the 3rd party "Vista Start Menu," which I've been using for a long time without problems.

In the Event Viewer (AV), there is one error for Avast:
AAVM - initialization error: Aavm/RPC: RpcServerUseProtseqEp for LRPC failed, 000006CC. 

There are also 3 warnings, but they all have to do with known false positives in sens.dll (I understand that BitDefender is giving the same FP, but all others show it clean). I assume you guys are already aware of that and dealing with it.

Also in the Event Viewer (System) there are several errors:
The COMODO Firewall Pro Helper Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).
The System Restore Service service hung on starting.
The System Event Notification service hung on starting.
The Network Connections service hung on starting.
The Server service hung on starting.

The server {8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
The server {BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

There were similar errors with DCOM earlier today as well. The order of the errors are:
1 - The two DCOM errors
2 - 6 seconds later, the Avast error
3 - 4 seconds after the Avast error, the other 5 errors at the same time.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 09:49:08 PM »
I was previously using AVG 7, but not as a real-time AV. Up until now, I've only been doing "on demand." So AVG is actually still installed (as well as AntiVir), but none of them are active unless I call them up (all modules set to "manual" in Services, only the right-click shell extensions for on-demand scans are loaded at startup).
You will have low level drivers conflicts and hang ups, slow down, etc.
Disable is not enough when we're talking about antivirus. Sooner or later, problems.
With AVG could be the email processing, with Avira the resident or the internet traffic scanning.

In the Event Viewer (AV), there is one error for Avast:
AAVM - initialization error: Aavm/RPC: RpcServerUseProtseqEp for LRPC failed, 000006CC. 
Typical error of antivirus conflicting (RPC communication).
There are also 3 warnings, but they all have to do with known false positives in sens.dll (I understand that BitDefender is giving the same FP, but all others show it clean). I assume you guys are already aware of that and dealing with it.
Other problem: antivirus will fight for the control of the file and some memory/files could be detected as infected.

geoff915

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 10:47:26 PM »
Ok. I uninstalled AVG (and Avira AntiVir as well). Still had the same issue (again with Vista Start Menu spiking to 100% of one of the CPU cores, seems to be around the time the e-mail & web scanners try to load), but with no related errors or warnings in the event log.

So I went into Comodo and manually entered the four Avast services as trusted applications in both the firewall & defense+ settings. Rebooted. Everything seemed to go fine (although it was a painfully slow boot)... but then the Comodo service crashed. I sent Comodo's automatic crash dump to them. I can send it to you as well if you like. I was able to exit & restart Comodo without any apparent problems. So it seems to be a conflict when they are loading.

Avast seems to be fighting with Vista Start Menu and/or Comodo at some point. I'm also wondering why the e-mail & web scanning services are automatically starting up (set to Manual) when I'm not connected to the internet and don't have an e-mail client or browser open.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 12:38:22 AM »
Although it was a painfully slow boot
One of the reasons for me to gave up on Comodo.

So it seems to be a conflict when they are loading.
I won't be surprised...

I'm also wondering why the e-mail & web scanning services are automatically starting up (set to Manual) when I'm not connected to the internet and don't have an e-mail client or browser open.
Can't avast itself starting the providers after it has started the Standard Shield itself? ???

geoff915

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 02:44:11 AM »
So it sounds like your final advice is to remove and replace either Comodo or Avast? They are both pretty popular choices. I would think both parties would want them to work well together.

The reason I asked about the services starting up is that the problems seem to start when they do so. And the whole point of having a service set to "Manual" is that it will only start up when needed. But these seem to be trying to start as if they were set to "Automatic." I wouldn't really care much if things were working well together... but they aren't

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 02:29:33 PM »
So it sounds like your final advice is to remove and replace either Comodo or Avast? They are both pretty popular choices. I would think both parties would want them to work well together.
I'm speaking for my personal experience. I could never put Comodo v3 to work smoothly on my Vista computer (with avast).

wyrmrider

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 04:51:05 PM »
Did you run the Antivir removal tool?

geoff915

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 11:20:39 PM »
I'm not on Vista. I'm on XP Media Center SP2.

I haven't run the removal tool, but I did go through the registry manually to get rid of the references.

I seem to have it working ok now. After dumping all the other AV installations, it was still a problem. So I went into the troubleshooting settings for Avast, disabled everything, and rebooted. Started up fine. Then I reneabled them one-by one. I don't seem to have the problem if I keep "Delay loading of avast! services after other system services" checked. This didn't work when I still had traces of the other AV, but now it does.

It seems that between Comodo, Avast!, and Vista Start Menu, there is a battle when they are all trying to start up. Thanks for helping out. You (developers) might want to look into the startup conflicts since these are all pretty commonly installed programs.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 11:24:16 PM »
I don't seem to have the problem if I keep "Delay loading of avast! services after other system services" checked.
That's precisely the reason for this option...

This didn't work when I still had traces of the other AV, but now it does.
Another reason for not keeping more than one antivirus at a time and that disabling them is not enough.

You (developers) might want to look into the startup conflicts since these are all pretty commonly installed programs.
Try to make Comodo team acknowledge a problem... try...