Author Topic: Thunderbird email client and Avast  (Read 8950 times)

Lunalei

Thunderbird email client and Avast
« on: June 16, 2008, 12:37:56 AM »
I use Thunderbird to check my mail but for the past two days it has frozen when the mail scanner comes on.  There have been no new program updates, the only thing that has updated is Avast.  Is anyone else having any trouble? Or could you tell me a way round it :) 

TIA

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Thunderbird email client and Avast
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 12:48:32 AM »
Do you use any firewall? Is ashMaiSv.exe allowed to connect?
Which avast version are you using? The latest is 4.8.1201.
The best things in life are free.

drhayden1

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 03:07:21 AM »
use the newest version of thunderbird for my pop3 mail with avast! and pctools firewall and no problems at all ;)

Lunalei

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 08:27:36 AM »
Got the latest version of Avast (4.8.1201).  I've used Thunderbird and Avast for a couple of years now and no problems at all, I recommend Avast to everyone I know because of the lack of problems.  Everything is allowed through the firewall, all ports are open on my router.  This has only been since an update a few days ago.  If I switch off mail scanner then my mail flies in, with it on I have to either check my webmail (bore) or wait for 3 days for it to come in :(  The other thing that it's decided to do is find a trojan in a program file that I've used for three years :o  I know it's just a false positive but it's just a bit weird that it happened at the same time.  Ah well, I may have to uninstall and re-install to see if it cures the problem.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 08:47:24 AM »
I am using the latest version of Thunderbird along with the latest version of avast and the Windows firewall ... that is just about the same condition for the folks I support too (pretty much this way for all of us for the last four years).

No problems reported - to date - with this configuration. 

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 08:50:13 AM »
Seems to be an intermittent problem with some users.

Please follow the instructions on this thread:

Those who have problems described in this thread please create a dump of the ashMaiSv.exe process (when the problem is simulated, i.e. the connection times out) and upload it to our ftp site ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming .

To create the dump, download and run http://public.avast.com/~vlk/hangrep.exe . In the list of processes select ashMaiSv.exe and use the Save button. This generates a file which you can upload to the ftp site.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=35687.msg302273#msg302273
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Lunalei

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 12:22:54 PM »
Thanks for all your suggestions :)  The update I got this morning seems to have sorted it!  Probably some kind of mad fault at my end  ;)

mcsc

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 01:20:21 PM »
Hi,

Just installed Avast a couple of days ago and having similar problems with Thunderbird. I've taken off the mail filter as it doesn't seem to want to let any emails come in, but my problem is that it doesn't want to let me send any emails.

The only address I can use is my Gmail, all my others won't send. I know that it's avast that's doing this as I uninstalled it to make absolutely sure. Of course without avast it works perfectly.

Also, I'm trying to follow the instructions given here. I downloaded the Hang file thingy to dump the... ashMaiSv.exe and upload it to the server, but no. Of course, I don't have the ashMaiSv.exe file in the list.

Is there anything, anything I can do to make my email work other than banish avast forever and have to make do with cr4p like avg...?

Thanks.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 12:37:42 AM »
What "email filter" did you "take off"? 

In Thunderbird what are the settings (port, security) you are using to send your mail on the problem account?

What is the error message Thunderbird is giving you when you try to send mail?

Are you using a firewall?  Which one?  Have you allowed network access to ashMaiSv.exe in the firewall?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 12:40:01 AM by alanrf »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 01:28:27 AM »
<snip>
Is there anything, anything I can do to make my email work other than banish avast forever and have to make do with cr4p like avg...?

Besides the questions asked by Alan, have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security