Author Topic: Charging by the Byte  (Read 2373 times)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Charging by the Byte
« on: June 16, 2008, 04:14:19 AM »
ISPs my start Charging by the Gigabyte for Internet Access
http://biz.yahoo.com/nytimes/080614/1194785259060.html?.v=3

This is Insane and the Government needs to step in and stop this. Their networks need to be upgraded and they are trying to find a way to pay for it? What about the $50 a month you charge us for access?

Lots of companies Like Netflix and Apple are trying to move the world toward Digital content distribution. But Take Time Warners Method. That 5 GB Bandwidth Cap would be used up just by renting 2 Movies from iTunes/Netflix. If People have that bandwidth cap looming over their head they are a lot less likely to embrace the iTunes distribution method.

In reality thats what this all comes down to, the Cable companies dont want Apple/Netflix competing with their Cable TV service and this would be a sure way to keep them from competing on even footing.

This is why we need the Government to hurry up and pass some form of Net neutrality Law and Quick! :-\
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Charging by the Byte
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 06:36:06 PM »
My ISP, when I asked, said they have a "soft" cap of 60 gigs a month.  And unless you're a real video freak, downloading them practically around the clock, or else you're running a server, you'd be hard-pressed to come even close to that.

I was running a little under a gig a month on dialup, and now that I'm on DSL I find I'm typically running 2 to 3 gigs.  About the only real change in my habits is that now I can conveniently download MP3s from paid-subscription sites like eMusic, and they limit you to x files per month.  Plus, of course, I can now look at larger games and other apps which were too big to even think about on dialup.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 07:06:20 PM »
My ISP, when I asked, said they have a "soft" cap of 60 gigs a month.  And unless you're a real video freak, downloading them practically around the clock, or else you're running a server, you'd be hard-pressed to come even close to that.

I was running a little under a gig a month on dialup, and now that I'm on DSL I find I'm typically running 2 to 3 gigs.  About the only real change in my habits is that now I can conveniently download MP3s from paid-subscription sites like eMusic, and they limit you to x files per month.  Plus, of course, I can now look at larger games and other apps which were too big to even think about on dialup.
My Macs/PC mostly does online gaming which im sure does not transfer that much data and the everyday web surfing/email. So im not so much worried there.

However I have a AppleTV connected to the TV in the living room. And I rent HD movies off iTunes through it. They usually run 3GB easy. I dont buy movies often because most of the time DVDs just take up shelf space and never get re-watched so this is a great solution.  But in a month I might rent 5 Movies, plus I download video podcats off of iTunes (most of which are free).

So Im a more bandwidth intensive user. I realize their plan is to stop P2P traffic, but there are a lot of services like iTunes that require a lot of bandwidth and are perfectly legal. I wouldn't want to get hit with "overage" fees every month just because I enjoy the service Apple provides.

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Kilia

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 06:38:46 AM »
I'm not on any of the ISP's that are imposing this restriction...YET!
However, my concern for the future, is that I do alot of viewing of YouTube videos.
I'd be lost without my YT!!

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Free your soul and let it fly
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 06:59:44 AM »
This is....Madness
Avast!  2014 beta - Sandboxie - K9 Web Protection