Author Topic: [HELP] I cannot enable resident protection  (Read 13438 times)

KLCL

[HELP] I cannot enable resident protection
« on: June 17, 2008, 10:09:59 AM »
I am using Avast 4.8 home. I recently turn off resident protection for a adware scan with anithor program then later I realies the blue avast icon is not in the taskbar after restart. I try to turn on resident protect in the main window, but no matter how many time I drag the bar to standard or high, it stay as disable. Can somebody knows what to do?

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
Re: [HELP] I cannot enable resident protection
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 10:34:56 AM »
Try a repair of Avast = Start/Control Panel/Add Remove Programs/ Select Avast /Change Remove/ scroll down to repair and select Repair.
You must be online for repair to work/ Reboot
You could also check if your OS is windows XP that the Avast Services are running
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

KLCL

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 10:45:42 AM »
It's working now. =D
Thankyou very much, have a nice day.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 02:16:11 PM »
Do you have any other antivirus in this computer? Had in the past?
The best things in life are free.

KLCL

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 05:30:05 AM »
I have AVG Free and Ad-adware Free, but they don't have real-time protection, I just do manual scan with them every week or so.
Will they cause problems? Cause I been using this combination for over half a year and they seem to be fine until recently.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 05:31:36 AM by KLCL »

rassel

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 10:58:58 AM »
I have AVG Free and Ad-adware Free, but they don't have real-time protection, I just do manual scan with them every week or so.
Will they cause problems? Cause I been using this combination for over half a year and they seem to be fine until recently.
What!? That must be problem. Avast will conflict if there other anti-virus on the same system.

But i tried before Avast with AVG and there is no problem until about a month the problem rises and I uninstall AVG and everything fine.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 11:01:41 AM by rassel »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 02:18:15 PM »
What!? That must be problem. Avast will conflict if there other anti-virus on the same system.
Rassel, both programs are antispyware (even non-resident). They won't conflict with avast for sure.
The best things in life are free.

KLCL

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 05:03:07 AM »
Rassel, both programs are antispyware (even non-resident). They won't conflict with avast for sure.
Thanks for your answer =D

rassel

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 10:30:13 AM »
Ops sorry I though KLCL said that he had AVG anti-virus free.

Offline Muad'Dib

• The underwater sound of the Antarctic Ocean
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 08:50:59 PM »
I'm having a similar problem.  I'm using home v4.8.1201.  All was working fine (resident scanner was visible in my system tray) until my 60 day trial period ended.  I then logged on and registered and all seemed to be accepted, but now then resident scanner doesn't seem to be enabled (it keeps being reset to disabled and never appears in the system tray).

I tried the control panel 'repair' method mentioned above (received a message saying "Repair finished   The product was successfully updated"), but that didn't change anything.

FYI, I'm running XP Pro/sp2, no other resident scanners have ever been run, and no other non-resident scanners are currently being run (or have been for many months (since well before I installed avast!)).

Thanks in advance for any help!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 08:52:33 PM by Muad Dib »

Spiritsongs

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 09:11:02 PM »
 :)  Hi :

After you "Registered", did you receive a "License Key" by email ? If yes,
 did you follow the Instructions on "How to insert the activation key"
 available at www.avast.com/files/tutorials/insert_key.htm  and/or read our
 "FAQs" at www.avast.com/eng/faq-registration-license.html  !?

Offline Muad'Dib

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 09:26:06 PM »
:)  Hi :

After you "Registered", did you receive a "License Key" by email ?
YES
If yes,
 did you follow the Instructions on "How to insert the activation key"
 available at www.avast.com/files/tutorials/insert_key.htm
  YES
and/or read our
 "FAQs" at www.avast.com/eng/faq-registration-license.html  !?
also YES  :)

The program loads fine, and it shows itself as being registered (with Updates expiration ending in November 2009), it's just this resident scanner issue that is now behaving weirdly.

UPDATE:  I should add that the "SETTINGS | Appearance" options are set as follows:
"Show avast tray icon" is enabled.  "Animate the icon while scanning" is also enabled.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 09:56:28 PM by Muad'Dib »

wyrmrider

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 11:29:47 PM »
let's cut to the chase here
AVG AV FREE
or
AVG ANTI-SPYWARE- old EWIDO free??

If AVG AV FREE
remove AVAST

go here
http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallavg.shtml
but now
AVG DOES HAVE an uninstall tool
http://www.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-946#faq_946

Grisoft Uninstall tool which you can download here:

http://www.grisoft.cz/filedir/util/avg_arm_sup_____.dir/avgremover.exe

then go here
What if Windows Security Center Shows AntiVir or other muliple Antivirus products installed???

One quirk with AV it to still show up in the Windows Security Center even when its been uninstalled properly. If this is the case, please refer to this article to resolve it.

http://www.pchell.com/support/multiple_antivirus_in_security_center.shtml

THEN DO THIS
Using the AntiVir Registry Cleaner

If for some reason the normal uninstall does not work, you may have to download AntiVir's registry cleaner utility to remove all traces of it from the registry and allow you to reinstall it.

1) Click on the following link and download the AntiVir Registry Cleaner to your desktop

http://dl.antivir.de/down/windows/registrycleaner.zip

2) Create a folder on your desktop called Antivir and Unzip the file to your desktop
3) Double-click on the file called RegCleaner.exe to run it

4) Since the program is German, you'll have to click on the button called "keys asulesen" to search the registry for any issues. Then place checkmarks next to the registry entries you wish to delete.

5) Finally, click on the button called "loschen" to delete the keys

6) Restart your computer and try to reinstall your antivirus

IF you have AVG ANTI-Spyware should be no problemo
AVG or any other AV like a preinstalled Norton, Mcafee or Panda then as the previous poster said
delayed hard to find problems

Offline Muad'Dib

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 12:48:11 AM »
wyrmrider,

Thanks for the flowchart of options, I'll keep it handy for possible future use!

However, my fix turned out to be simpler (possibly MUCH simpler)...

While testing out various options, I ended up upgrading from v4.8.1201 to v4.8.1229.  I was then prompted to reboot.  Now everything works as it did before.  Whether it was the new version or simply the reboot (I thought I had rebooted after registering, but it may have slipped my mind), I'm not sure, but everything is working the way it had been before I registered.  Thanks to all for their suggestions, I'll now offer two of my own:

1) Did you reboot?

2) Did you upgrade to the latest program version (then see #1)?

Thanks again!  :)

wyrmrider

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 01:13:49 AM »
thats a good smiley face
anything strange comes up I always blame it on AVG :)
Multi AV conflicts are a constant source of hard to diagnose problems