Author Topic: Annoying popup during scan  (Read 6550 times)

Tiffany

Annoying popup during scan
« on: June 18, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
Is there a way to disable the popup letting me know I have a virus during a scan that waits until I click an option for it to continue scanning? Cause I would like to be able to scan while I sleep and make all the decisions in the morning, rather than come back in the morning to find the scan is 0% done and it found a virus, to click it and go to work only to come back to find that the scan is 0% done and that it found another virus.

Surely there's a way to make it ask what I want to do after all the scanning is complete?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Annoying popup during scan
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 12:34:09 AM »
No, only in Professional version (see picture here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13315.msg112285#msg112285).

Well, that's the way it is, I am afraid; you may call it a limitation of the Home Edition of avast!. In the Professional Edition, you can configure the task to perform automatic actions (or, don't do anything).
In the Home version, you may check the "Don't show again" checkbox in the Virus warning dialog - but only after the first virus has been found (because you won't see the virus dialog until then).
The best things in life are free.

Tiffany

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:45:41 AM »
Well that just really sucks the big one then...  :-\

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 01:46:00 AM »
Would you rather they crippled (having less protection) the anti-virus to have a difference between the paid version and the free version. It is a limitation of the free version having interactive input requirement.

It shouldn't be a huge problem as after a short  time all malware on your system should have been detected and with the resident on-access scanners blocking new viruses there should be less likelihood of a virus being detected on the on-demand scan.

In the Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" when the first virus warning appears, select the "No action" button. This way, no action will be taken and you will given the results at the end of the scan (and you can perform actions from there). Over time this will become less of an issue, as the resident, on-access scanners are designed to intercept infection before it gets into your system.

- There was one suggestion to place something like the eicar test virus at the start of the first drive to be scanned in a file like ~a-eicar.com that should soon be detected and you can do the option "Don't show this window again" when the first virus warning appears, select the "No action" button. So you should have a list of files waiting your action.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tiffany

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 05:30:24 AM »
...I'd rather AVG not break on me every couple months asking me to reinstall, so I didn't have to switch. Considering it's free and doesn't do that crap.

You guys could really come up with something different to separate them. Just make a better interface for the Pro version, since the interface on the free one sucks pretty bad, and make the virus scan not disappear when you scan a file via the contextual menu, so you can actually read the results.

I mean, look at AVG & Comodo... Neither of those have crippling things on the free version, they're just free. Heck, if I was gonna actually pay for an AV I'd get Kaspersky or NOD32.

The only reason I use avast! is pretty much cause I get to sound like a pirate while saying it. :P

ardvark

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 06:31:27 AM »
...I'd rather AVG not break on me every couple months asking me to reinstall, so I didn't have to switch.

What version is it? Did any event on your computer cause AVG to do this?

You guys could really come up with something different to separate them. Just make a better interface for the Pro version, since the interface on the free one sucks pretty bad, and make the virus scan not disappear when you scan a file via the contextual menu, so you can actually read the results.

This is a new one for me, I thought all AV's gave a results window after scanning individual files. ??? Also, by "interface," do you mean the "media player" looking window that pops up after the initial memory scan? There are different skins available to change that. Go here...

http://www.avast.com/eng/skins.html

I mean, look at AVG & Comodo... Neither of those have crippling things on the free version, they're just free. Heck, if I was gonna actually pay for an AV I'd get Kaspersky or NOD32.

Any free AV I've ever dealt with doesn't offer as much as the paid version. This is true with avast, AVG and AntiVir. It's just that each of the companies that make these programs go about "limiting" the software in different ways. I don't know about Comodo, since I've never used their software. Most companies who offer free versions of their software do so to give you reasons to purchase the paid versions, as I'm sure you know. We're fortunate that free versions of AV's made available for us at all. Personally, I wouldn't pay $40.00 to $50.00 a year for an AV. I would just go without and take my chances, if I had to. And I don't think I'm the only one.

The only reason I use avast! is pretty much cause I get to sound like a pirate while saying it. :P

;D

Using NOD32 would probably make someone sound like a computer program or robot, too. :P

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 06:34:23 AM by ardvark »

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 06:33:24 AM »
and make the virus scan not disappear when you scan a file via the contextual menu, so you can actually read the results.
Hi Tiffany
Can help with that one. Right-click on "a" tray icon > Program Settings > check "Show results of Explorer Extension". (See attached image.)

I mean, look at AVG & Comodo... Neither of those have crippling things on the free version, they're just free.
Not crippled. AVG Free and avast! Home are both "differently abled" compared to the Pro versions.
Comodo itself is currently a "crippling thing".  ::)

Surely you also appreciate the fascinating interaction with other forum participants!  ;D ;D

(BTW, BitDefender 10 Free is on-demand only but will scan without user input and switch the PC off at the end.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 07:55:33 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Tiffany

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 11:47:05 AM »
...I'd rather AVG not break on me every couple months asking me to reinstall, so I didn't have to switch.

What version is it? Did any event on your computer cause AVG to do this?

Every version I've tried, nothing happened on my computer. Basically, I'll have AVG for like 3+ months or so, then one day it just says "A component is in an error state." or something like that, and says something about I have to reinstall to fix it. I don't know why it happens, I just know it happened to me 3 or 4 times before I just said I was through with it.

Hi Tiffany
Can help with that one. Right-click on "a" tray icon > Program Settings > check "Show results of Explorer Extension". (See attached image.)

Oh cool, thanks. :)

Surely you also appreciate the fascinating interaction with other forum participants!  ;D ;D

Maybe just a little. ;)

albertina62

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 12:22:19 PM »
iam verry happy that the popup are disapeard after i activate the silent mode on the webshield and standard shield under advanced tab  but it works only on the pro and not in the free version tharts a pitty for the free member users i think!!!but i want to thanks to tech for th answers

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 02:00:03 PM »
iam verry happy that the popup are disapeard after i activate the silent mode on the webshield and standard shield under advanced tab
Hmmm... maybe you're visiting infected sites... These popups aren't good... they're virus alerts.

but it works only on the pro and not in the free version
No it works in Home version also (I mean, the Silent Mode for WebShield).
The best things in life are free.

rogman49

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 06:31:21 PM »
Hi Tiffany,

There was one suggestion to place something like the eicar test virus at the start of the first drive to be scanned in a file like ~a-eicar.com that should soon be detected and you can do the option "Don't show this window again" when the first virus warning appears, select the "No action" button. So you should have a list of files waiting your action.
I did what David suggested above. I downloaded the Eicar test virus and renamed so it is at beginning of C drive. The scan will stop after about 30-45 secs with Eicar warning. Follow what David says above. Works great! [/b]  ;D