Author Topic: How do I write a batch file to load ashDisp.exe ?  (Read 4678 times)

littlemac

How do I write a batch file to load ashDisp.exe ?
« on: June 18, 2008, 05:57:00 AM »
Dear Sir/Madam

I tired to write batch file name userlogin.bat as below. It doesn't load properly it get stuck and will not exit the dos command.

"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe"
CLS
EXIT

Avast 4.7 home\
I want to be able to laod Resident Protection and Unload it. I tried to write userlogout.bat with the command below to take out Resident Protection and it works.

taskkill /f /im ashDisp.exe
CLS
EXIT

The part of starting Resident Protection on user login doesn't work properly. it gets stuck at the dos command. If I sit in front of the computer, I can click the x icon on the top right to exit dos command.

I understand that if we can just right click on the blue ball on the system tray and disable Resident Protection, but I will need to do it remotely with batch file.1

How do I fix this issue?

Regards,
littlemac

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: How do I write a batch file to load ashDisp.exe ?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 09:18:24 AM »
Well, first, there's no issue here - avast! is not meant for this kind of "control".
If you want to control avast! remotely, you should install the "managed client" versions and controle them via ADNM.

Second, ashDisp.exe is not the resident protection module - it's only the "GUI handler", i.e. the process that takes care of painting the icon in the system tray or displaying the "Virus found!" dialog on current user's desktop, if necessary. However, the real resident protection runs in a separate service; you don't stop it by killing ashDisp.exe

Third, there shouldn't be any need to stop the resident protection... should it?

It's rather strange that the first batch would run as expected, and the second would not (at least regarding the appearance of the dos box)... where exactly does it stop?
Btw, is it really avast! 4.7? (or rather 4.8)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 03:43:52 AM »
Hi littlemac
I'm intrigued as to why you would choose to install an app and then try to obstruct its key features. Why do you need to disable resident protection remotely? 
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 02:06:17 PM »
Why do you need to disable resident protection remotely? 
Just guessing... installing a keylogger remotely ;D
The best things in life are free.