Author Topic: RPC Error / Cannot remove/repair  (Read 22129 times)

fabill

RPC Error / Cannot remove/repair
« on: June 18, 2008, 05:41:07 PM »
I am using windows XP.
successfully deleted avast once, then downloaded the new Avast home edition, inserted the key, got the RPC error, followed the instructions (computer management, services )Avast4 control service started, automatic. Avast mail scanner started, manual (won't allow me to change to automatic) , Avast web scanner, started, manual, (won't allow me to change to automatic) RPC error again , downloaded 3 more times (on Dialup) Tried to delete from control panel ADD/REMOVE -  get error message - A setiface error has occurred: try to reinstall or call support please. I would really like to get this to work like it used to.  any suggestions.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: RPC Error / Cannot remove/repair
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 06:01:38 PM »
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

The RPC error is often associated with another AV or remnants of an AV on your system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 07:19:33 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

fabill

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 04:45:20 AM »
no other antivirus programs that I know of,
cannot remove avast using control panel. keep getting message: a setiface error has occured: 2 try to reinstall or call support please.

ardvark

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 07:48:11 AM »
Um....excuse me.

Not sure how my answer got put in this thread ???
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 07:50:42 AM by ardvark »

rassel

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 11:09:24 AM »
cannot remove avast using control panel. keep getting message: a setiface error has occured: 2 try to reinstall or call support please.

Did you try as what Tech said?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 02:11:40 PM »
Go to step 3 and start from there...

bunk

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 08:28:51 PM »
My prob was occuring at boot, so I followed these instructions to the tea this time...... I'll see how it goes for a couple days now.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 10:38:43 PM »
My prob was occuring at boot
Do you mean a RPC error at boot? I think it's not possible... RPC is for Windows environment, i.e., Windows already loaded.

bunk

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 10:59:08 PM »
Ok, my ball had the red circle on it at start up, this happened a couple times, not always. It would even take my taskbar a little while to appear when it happened. If I would re-start the PC, it would work fine 2nd time around. It was stated in a window ( I think when I went to more info ) that it was an RPC error.

What I had done was: initially installed avast > then realized it had 6 out of 7 providers running, the 7th being outlook, which I have disabled / removed in ADD / Remove componants & services.

I always choose custom installers, and knew I should have unchecked outlook, but didn't...... Then I just removed it with ccleaners uninstaller accually, and re-installed again, this time leaving outlook unchecked. With that being said, I felt it possible / likely that since I didn't use the proper removal procedures, that I had left remnants, as mentioned here, and thus was causing my probs...... I might have another issue going on at start up as well, that has nothing to do with avast, but just wanted to eleminate this as being the prob.

This particular PC is a Compaq, custom build from the HP site 2 years ago: SR1730T I have done a lot of things to / with it in 2 years. It hasn't been factory since it left there. The OS on it now is an original version of XP, pre sp1, but does have sp2 on it now ( just recently ) I ran it with sp1 for a year or so  ;D As you can see, i'm not big on changes / updates. I do keep my security updated, but dont play the micro$oft update game.

One thing I forgot to mention is, I have seen a slower shut down time on all my PCs since switching to avast. I am prob taking this topic / thread in a diff direction with this stuff though, sorry mods....
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 11:06:59 PM by bunk »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 11:36:13 PM »
Ok, my ball had the red circle on it at start up
Is this permanent or just take some seconds to disappear and the ball starts spinning?
On Troubleshooting tab of settings you can choose 'Delay avast services startup...' in order to proper load order of operational system services than avast.

bunk

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 12:15:05 AM »
When it was happening, I couldn't get the services started no matter what I did, except re-starting the PC a 2nd time. I had looked under that tab before, but didn't realize the setting you just pointed out to me. My PCs are pretty fast, usually booting in a minute, a one is less than a minute, my test PC that I havn't trashed lately  ;)

The problem is when I shut them down, that process has slowed a great deal. I dont get the program not responding windows, they just stay at the blue "window$ is shutting down" screen for a little while.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 01:21:40 AM »
The problem is when I shut them down, that process has slowed a great deal. I dont get the program not responding windows, they just stay at the blue "window$ is shutting down" screen for a little while.
Is there any useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'?

bunk

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 01:52:23 AM »
Here are the avast logs from there, most of the errors are things that couldn't be scanned in my spysweeper......

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 02:07:27 AM »
That doesn't seem unreasonable to me, just spysweeper protecting its files, the windows 05 error, access denied.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security