Author Topic: Minor changes and fixes...  (Read 4784 times)

Xenomorph

Minor changes and fixes...
« on: April 02, 2004, 03:32:02 AM »
When I click "What is avast! VRDB," this is displayed in the avast4 Help:

---
VRDB PRINCIPLE

avast! creates an integrity database, i.e. it stores information about the actual state of the files, doing it three version back of each file.
---

Now, I'm sorry if I'm reading that wrong - but the grammar seems a bit off. Should it say something like "doing it three times for each file" or something? What exactly is it saying here?

Also, I know its a name, but will "avast!" ever be capitalized? What about the word "antivirus" ? I like seeing it as "AntiVirus", and the avast! software seems to call it "Antivirus" AND "AntiVirus", in random spots. I guess this is called continuity error or something.

sorry to nitpick... :P

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Minor changes and fixes...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 03:36:57 AM »
Wellcome. I'm the avast! Portuguese (Brazilian) translator. Your suggestions are very good. I tried to 'correct' and get homogeneity in my translation and, in a minor work, in English too.

It's not easy to get that with a very complex software like avast. It takes me 150 hours to translate it. But, as you can see, our and their work could always be better.

Thanks for coming to the best forum in Internet  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 09:42:33 AM »
The sentence is trying to say that VRDB stores information for three different versions of every file (if the file changes, of course).
I am not sure if saying "doing it three times for each file" wouldn't somehow imply that VRDB checks the file three times and ignores it ever after (which is not true). VRDB checks the file very time the database is regenerated, and if the file is found different, its info is stored. If there would be more than three versions of given file in the database, the oldest ones are forgotten - only the last three are stored.

avast! is lowercase by definition - it's the name of the program.
As for the word "antivirus" - if used together with avast!, it should probably be spelled "avast! Antivirus", but you are right that it's written as "avast! antivirus" often... well, you can say that the word "antivirus" is not part of the name - so it's written with capital A in titles, and with lowercase a in the ordinary sentences.
It should never be spelled "AntiVirus" - and in the program, it never is - where did you see it?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 05:06:09 AM »
its info is stored

Which info is stored Igor?  ;D
Why can't VRDB recover all the infected exe files? If it cannot recover, why does it store that 'info'?
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 01:45:20 PM »
It stores important parts of executable files (parts that are often modified by file viruses).
It cannot guarantee recovery in 100% of cases - the only way to ensure this would be to simply copy the whole executable file, i.e. VRDB would be a copy of all your executable (EXE, DLL, ...) files. Of course, it would get rather big this way.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 02:31:53 PM »
It should never be spelled "AntiVirus" - and in the program, it never is - where did you see it?

Maybe only in logo; there's our banner on the top of this page, look at it.

Why can't VRDB recover all the infected exe files?

We try to recover an infected file with three defferent method (including e.g. CIH one); but some viruses use special file infection: e.g. if file entry point to virus code - firstly, it decrypts .code section with own key and then jumps to the original code.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 09:44:06 AM »
Maybe only in logo; there's our banner on the top of this page, look at it.

Oops, I overlooked that one - looked only for text  :-[
I think the logo shouldn't have that spelling... but I guess changing all the logos won't be regarded as a good idea  :-\