Author Topic: Avast and Magic Mail Monitor  (Read 4450 times)

riverside

Avast and Magic Mail Monitor
« on: April 02, 2004, 05:05:14 AM »
Hello. I am using the free version of Avast with Mozilla Thunderbird on Win98SE and Avast works flawlessly together with Thunderbird. However, before checking my mail in Thunderbird I always check it first with Magic Mail Monitor (http://mmm3.sourceforge.net) so as to delete any spam or suspicious emails first before downloading the legit email into Thunderbird.

I can't get Avast to scan for viruses in Magic Mail Monitor though. I used to use NAV which did scan while checking email in MMM. I know I have MMM configured properly as it's the same settings as in Thunderbird, 127.0.0.1 for the server and myusername#mail.myisp.com for the username.

Has anyone who uses MMM gotten Avast to work with MMM or do they just not work together for who knows what reason? Thanks for any insight.

And oh P.S., I do realize it's not mandatory for mail to be scanned in MMM since MMM safely opens email in Notepad as plaintext, but just since I was used to NAV scanning MMM email, I liked that reassurance. But ultimately this is really a very minor issue FWIW.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Avast and Magic Mail Monitor
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 05:01:52 AM »
Are you sure you uninstall Norton well?
NAV and avast are incompatible and could generate errors while handling emails... Can you post how do you uninstall NAV?

Does avast recognize a 'previous' antivirus installation while it was installing itself? I mean, a warning of the presence of another antivirus?

I used MMM in the past and it worked with avast  :-\
Do you import accounts from OE? What configuration were imported by MMM?
The best things in life are free.

riverside

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 03:55:43 PM »
Thanks for answering. You may be on to something because I didn't actually uninstall NAV because it wasn't the stand-alone version of NAV, it's part of Norton System Works. I don't have the NSW CD anymore so I didn't have any way of uninstalling NSW and then reinstalling it by leaving NAV out of the installation.

What I did was turned off NAV's auto-protect and disabled everything in NAV's settings and then I went to msconfig and disabled all instances of Norton so nothing of Norton would run on startup. I figured if NAV was turned off completely and not running at all, it shouldn't interfere with Avast.

When I installed Avast it didn't recognize any previous AV installations or give any warnings of the presence of another AV. The Avast installation went without a hitch.

As for MMM, I didn't import any accounts into it, I created the accounts manually. And a while later when I switched to Avast, I manually changed the server and username info in MMM so Avast would recognize it, e.g. 127.0.0.1 and myusername#mail.myisp.com.

Since MMM and Avast worked for you, I don't know why it's not for me. It could be NAV interference for sure but since NAV is completely disabled and there's no Norton running in the background I don't see how it could be especially since Avast works fine in Thunderbird. If NAV somehow is interfering in MMM it seems like it would in Thunderbird too. I don't know, I'm stumped.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 05:33:52 PM »
Thanks for answering. You may be on to something because I didn't actually uninstall NAV because it wasn't the stand-alone version of NAV, it's part of Norton System Works. I don't have the NSW CD anymore so I didn't have any way of uninstalling NSW and then reinstalling it by leaving NAV out of the installation.

Yes, if you do not have the CD this is impossible now...

What I did was turned off NAV's auto-protect and disabled everything in NAV's settings and then I went to msconfig and disabled all instances of Norton so nothing of Norton would run on startup. I figured if NAV was turned off completely and not running at all, it shouldn't interfere with Avast.

I'm not so sure... NAV always interfere with avast. You can read a lot of this in these forums (for instance: here).

When I installed Avast it didn't recognize any previous AV installations or give any warnings of the presence of another AV. The Avast installation went without a hitch.

Sorry... can be a bug of detection... In the past, avast! detects too much, now can be by-passing the obvious... You know that there is another av installation.

As for MMM, I didn't import any accounts into it, I created the accounts manually. And a while later when I switched to Avast, I manually changed the server and username info in MMM so Avast would recognize it, e.g. 127.0.0.1 and myusername#mail.myisp.com.

Since MMM and Avast worked for you, I don't know why it's not for me. It could be NAV interference for sure but since NAV is completely disabled and there's no Norton running in the background I don't see how it could be especially since Avast works fine in Thunderbird. If NAV somehow is interfering in MMM it seems like it would in Thunderbird too. I don't know, I'm stumped.

Me too... Btw, I use all the NSW except NAV and everything works...  :-\

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 07:06:25 PM »
you should be able to go to add/remove programs and click "modify" and just remove NAV
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 12:10:41 AM »
you should be able to go to add/remove programs and click "modify" and just remove NAV

Sorry Mac, but mine NSW will ask for the original CD... It's not posible change or repair the installation without it  :'(