Author Topic: "the AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error" on Vista  (Read 16128 times)

JonSquall1

"the AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error" on Vista
« on: June 20, 2008, 07:02:32 PM »
As my topic says, I've got the red circle slash, which it detects is an rpc error, I tried the faq database, but the answer it gives me is for xp and older, I am running on vista, and have tried the windows update, and it still seems to be doing this, any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: "the AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error" on Vista
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 07:09:45 PM »
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

Do you have any other antivirus installed in your computer?
Did you have in the past? Which one?
Do you use a firewall? Which one?

Also, take a look into Administrative Tools > Services
and see how the four avast services are set to start (automatically or manual).
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 08:33:43 PM »
As my topic says, I've got the red circle slash, which it detects is an rpc error, I tried the faq database, but the answer it gives me is for xp and older, I am running on vista, and have tried the windows update, and it still seems to be doing this, any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

One other common reason for this is another AV or remnants of an uninstalled one still present on your system. So Tech's questions regarding this should possibly be addressed first.

@ Tech
You no longer need to be connected to the Internet to do an avast repair, the integrity files are in the avast folders.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

davegthomas

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 09:14:09 PM »
I, also, had exactly the same problem and running REPAIR and then rebooting fixed the problem!

Thank you

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 09:39:04 PM »
Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

margop

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 10:20:34 AM »
Hello,

I hope it's ok to post in this old topic because it seemed silly to make another topic with the same problem.
Anyway, I have this exact same problem. Avast with a little red circle on it. I've tried uninstall/boot/install/boot and still nothing. I tried the repair thing. Nothing.
So I went to see whats up with the services. avast! Antivirus service is set to automatic but wont start, if I start it manually it reports an Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start. OK, so I checked the dependencys. RPC is started but aswMonFlt, I don't have any idea where to look for it. In addition, I tried to start the avast! iAVS4 Control Service, this reports an Error 5: Access denied. I don't know, maybe it supposed to deny my access.
So then I did the Hijack thingie. Discovered I had a Moonsecure Antivirus service. Looked for it, found it, it was not started, but i disabeled it anyway. Moonsecure was uninstalled months ago and before I installed avast and avast worked fine for a while.
I hope someone out there has a briliant idea for me to fix this.

Thank you

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 02:16:01 PM »
The conflict could be at driver level, not services.
I've never heard about Moonsecure antivirus... Does it have a special tool to remove leftovers?
avast won't run correctly with these remains. Sometimes, it works for a while but an update could mess things again...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 03:15:25 PM »
I too have never heard of Moon Secure Antivirus but my friend google has, Open source AV from sourceforge using ClamAV engine. Looks very basic and as Tech said it is the low level drivers that would still be running causing the clash.

Remove (fix) the entries for any related moon secure in HJT after you have done that (reboot) it might be OK after that. Run HJT again and post the contents of the log (you might have to post it on two or more posts) or attach it to the post.

margop

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 01:23:09 PM »
Hi again,
This Moon Secure AV has no tool to remove it. It was uninstalled from Add/Remove. And even when uninstall said completed, it left some files in the Program Files sub directory. I deleted the Moon Secure AV folder from Program Files and installed avast and avast worked well until now. That's why I thought Moon Secure was not the problem, but maybe you're right, maybe an update screwed things up.
When I did the hijack thing, I tried the fix button and reboot but it did not help. I am unable to get rid of it. I cant post the new hijack log at this moment but I will as soon as i can. But if I am unable to delete the Moon Secure from hijack, is there something else I could do? 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 03:01:29 PM »
AVs have low level virtual drivers that are frequently left behind (as you already confirm their uninstaller wasn't very effective) and that is what usually cause the conflicts.

Spiritsongs

Completely removing "MoonSecure" AV
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 05:42:21 PM »
 :)  Hi Margop :

To fully get rid of "MoonSecure", you should look into using the FREE
 "Revo Uninstaller" from www.revouninstaller.com .

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 07:15:48 PM »
:)  Hi Margop :

To fully get rid of "MoonSecure", you should look into using the FREE
 "Revo Uninstaller" from www.revouninstaller.com .
I really doubt the Revo has the power to delete legacy drivers and services last behind even in the Aggressive (or deep) removing mode.

Anyway, the user will have to uninstall avast, install the program again and then using Revo, booting after each step.

margop

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 10:02:03 AM »
Uninstall Avast, reboot, reinstall Moon Secure, reboot, remove Moon Secure with Revo uninstaller, reboot, install Avast, reboot

Got it, will do that ASAP. Thank you.

margop

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 01:11:48 PM »
Hi again,

This is an update what I've done so far. I tried the Revo uninstaller thing. It did remove Moon Secure AV from the services but I had to delete the Moon Secure folder from Program Files myself. I think this means Moon Secure AV is gone from my computer for good. That's a good thing. But the problem is still there, the AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error still occures when i try to launch Avast AV. I did the Hijack thing again and here is the log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 13:59:21, on 28.10.2008
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Windows\SMINST\scheduler.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\PDF Complete\pdfsty.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\WiFiMsg.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\bin\openvpn-gui.exe
C:\Program Files\Autoroute SMTP\AutoSmtp.exe
C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Windows\System32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\ToolBoxFX\bin\HPTLBXFX.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP UT\bin\hppusg.exe
C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\LaunchApplication.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Cobian Backup 8\Cobian.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe
C:\Windows\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Corporation\Image Transfer\SonyTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Program Files\Cobian Backup 8\cbInterface.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BtStackServer.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPHelper.exe
C:\Windows\system32\conime.exe
C:\Windows\System32\mobsync.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
C:\Users\ilmar\Desktop\CleanPack\Hijacker\HijackThis.exe

margop

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 01:12:09 PM »

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.neti.ee/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDF Complete] "C:\Program Files\PDF Complete\pdfsty.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WAWifiMessage] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\WiFiMsg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [openvpn-gui] C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\bin\openvpn-gui.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Autoroute SMTP] C:\Program Files\Autoroute SMTP\AutoSmtp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ToolBoxFX] "C:\Program Files\HP\ToolBoxFX\bin\HPTLBXFX.exe" /enum:on /alerts:on /notifications:on /systrayIcon:on /fl:on /fr:on /appData:on
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPUsageTracking] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP UT\bin\hppusg.exe" "C:\Program Files\HP\HP UT\"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCSuiteTrayApplication] C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\LaunchApplication.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WatchDog] C:\Program Files\InterVideo\DVD Check\DVDCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [ST Recovery Launcher] %WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Cobian Backup 8] "C:\Program Files\Cobian Backup 8\Cobian.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [Nokia.PCSync] C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\PcSync2.exe /NoDialog (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [Nokia.PCSync] C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\PcSync2.exe /NoDialog (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: DVD Check.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\DVD Check\DVDCheck.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Image Transfer.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Service Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: SQL Server.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\scm.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&kspordi Microsoft Excelisse - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send image to &Bluetooth Device... - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send page to &Bluetooth Device... - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\npjpi160_07.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\npjpi160_07.dll
O9 - Extra button: Uurimistöö - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: @btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @btrez.dll,-12650 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O23 - Service: Andrea ADI Filters Service (AEADIFilters) - Andrea Electronics Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\AEADISRV.EXE
O23 - Service: Agere Modem Call Progress Audio (AgereModemAudio) - Agere Systems - C:\Windows\system32\agrsmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: Autodesk Licensing Service - Autodesk - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: IviRegMgr - InterVideo - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InterVideo\RegMgr\iviRegMgr.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: OpenVPN Service (OpenVPNService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\bin\openvpnserv.exe
O23 - Service: PDF Document Manager (pdfcDispatcher) - PDF Complete Inc - C:\Program Files\PDF Complete\pdfsvc.exe
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia. - C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - c:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: SecuROM User Access Service (V7) (UserAccess7) - Sony DADC Austria AG. - C:\Windows\system32\UAService7.exe

--
End of file - 9204 bytes

Please tell me you can see an obvious solution in there. And thank you for your help :D I really appreciate it.