Author Topic: Is any one else having a problem with Gmail ???  (Read 10775 times)

Sesame

Re: Is any one else having a problem with Gmail ???
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
Well, Bob, since I have had gmail blocked for several months, I can not give you examples. I can only say that I was receiving unsolicited emails for pharmaceuticals & etc from gmail accounts.
99.9% of that is in the SPAM folder of gmail and will automatically disappear after 30 days or,
it can be simply deleted by using the "Delete all spam messages now" option at the top of the SPAM folder.
CharleyO means he doesn't have problem with spammers who are using Gmail accounts (or pretending to be Gmail users) after blocking mail from Gmail accounts.

The moral here may be that, generally speaking, it is not recommendable to post comments which are different from the expectation of the original poster although some may find it witty.  The tricky part is that a technique behind humor is to betray expectations, though.  :P

Back to off topic - I guess I am a lucky user who has noticed no problem.  ::)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 10:57:09 AM »
You will certainly never have spam problems from accounts you block.  That much is clear.

I think I am missing the moral here if there is one.  No doubt the very eloquent forum participants will clarify their own posts if needed.

Back to the issue ... of well not GMail ...  but Google ... I noticed earlier this evening that the "google.analytics" site used as part of the avast forums access was also taking forever and a day to be accessed when trying to browse these forums.  On days like this it becomes rather tempting to block the site even if it is used by avast to help them.   

Sesame

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 12:44:36 PM »
I think I am missing the moral here if there is one.  No doubt the very eloquent forum participants will clarify their own posts if needed.
I wrote "maybe", indicating it is mere subjective opinion.  However, it is also true that I, myself, was confused by what CharleyO meant for seconds.

Back to the issue ... of well not GMail ...  but Google ... I noticed earlier this evening that the "google.analytics" site used as part of the avast forums access was also taking forever and a day to be accessed when trying to browse these forums.  On days like this it becomes rather tempting to block the site even if it is used by avast to help them.   
Again, I think this is off topic but I use NoScript to block the site as "untrusted" and have no problem here and other Google services.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 02:37:10 PM »
I use NoScript to block the site as "untrusted" and have no problem here and other Google services.
Me too. Sorry if avast forum uses it...
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 03:34:37 AM »

Yeah, I do not have a gmail account so I am only blocking email from gmail accounts to end the spam from gmail accounts. Of course, this can happen from any such email provider like gmail ... though I rarely get spam from Hotmail, etc accounts.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 05:45:16 PM »
I am only blocking email from gmail accounts to end the spam from gmail accounts.
You'll never receive an email from me :'(
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 08:47:21 AM »

You can always send me a PM here, Tech.    :)

CharleyO

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 07:00:29 PM »

In my latest spam report, this one was at the top of the list. There were 2 others from gmail. While I realize the possibility of spoofing, I know of no other way to stop the spam from what appears to be a gmail account. As I mentioned in another post, I do not get these from other free email suppliers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 08:30:25 PM »
I know gmail scan inbound email for viruses, I don't know if they do the same for outbound email.

The question is does it do the same scan email for inbound or outbound spam ?
If it did then the possibility of a faked from address is greater, there are also tools to confirm the email origin, these would also confirm forged from address.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 12:37:41 AM »
As I mentioned in another post, I do not get these from other free email suppliers.
There are spammers using all email accounts   free or not

I have a gmail, hotmail, gmx, inbox aol and yahoo account (just to mention a few) all of which receive spam daily and most of the spam
is filtered out automatically. To delete or let the server delete the remaining spam is a users choice.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 02:43:23 PM »

Yeah, I do not have a gmail account so I am only blocking email from gmail accounts to end the spam from gmail accounts. Of course, this can happen from any such email provider like gmail ... though I rarely get spam from Hotmail, etc accounts.

Blocking Gmail is a pretty extreme measure Charley. Many technical people in the business use Gmail almost exclusively, it's kind of the "in" thing to do, and many business people like myself, with their own domains, have given up on email packages, such as Thunderbird, due to Gmail's archiving feature, and the ability to alias their domain email directly from Gmail. It makes life a lot easier to archive, than to have separate files on every client. So, you may be missing a lot of very valid emails, by categorically blocking Gmail.

Though you don't have a Gmail account, for those that do, a person doesn't have to see the spam count if they don't want to. Either CustomizeGoogle, or Better Gmail 2 offer the option to block the spam count from showing. Then, as mentioned earlier in this thread, they disappear after 30 days. Frankly, I haven't looked at the spam folder in either of my Gmail accounts for a couple of years.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 03:32:32 PM by OrangeCrate »