Author Topic: Error no's - is there a new version yet  (Read 10662 times)

keithhmh

Error no's - is there a new version yet
« on: June 22, 2008, 06:52:12 AM »
I downloaded md69.zip and my scan doesn't crash any more but I am still getting loads of err 13's, a couple of 60's and some 42210's

No one came back on my point about err 13 (permission denied) - I am not trying to be a smart **se - I am just trying to get to know my new MAC but if a virus can get at a file that avast can't (would that ever be possible?), simply not reporting err 13's somewhat negates the avast virus checker

keithhmh

Re: Error no's - is there a new version yet
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 06:56:38 AM »
Ooops - I typed 42210 instead of 42110

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 07:10:39 AM »
I downloaded md69.zip and my scan doesn't crash any more but I am still getting loads of err 13's, a couple of 60's and some 42210's

No one came back on my point about err 13 (permission denied) - I am not trying to be a smart **se - I am just trying to get to know my new MAC but if a virus can get at a file that avast can't (would that ever be possible?), simply not reporting err 13's somewhat negates the avast virus checker

Well if avast is reporting err 13 then it does not have permission to read it. Please understand that Mac OS X is UNIX based, in UNIX you set permissions on a file (usually with the chmod command) to determine who has read, write and execute permission for a file.

Most system files, files owned by the System (Mac OS X itself) will not be able to be read, or modified by avast, its the way Apple has the permissions set. Also other files may have permissions set this way (again the chmod command can change the permissions on a file).

If only the system has access to read a file then the chances of a virus infecting said file are slim, so again you do not need to worry about avast not being able to scan it.

UNIX/Linux/Mac OS X are very different Operating systems than Windows

If you want to see permissions for yourself, pick any file or directory and Right-Click it and choose Get Info and look under Sharing & Permissions. If you pick a file that avast reports err13 on you will see that you most likely are assigned No Access.

To Learn More about the chmod command open the Teminal and type
Code: [Select]
man chmod

An Example of chmod would be
chmod 777
Which would assign read, write and execute privlages to everyone.

chmod 755Would Assign Read, Write and Execute to the Owner of the file and Read & Execute to everyone else.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 07:19:06 AM by .: Mac :. »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

keithhmh

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 12:27:16 AM »
Hi Mac,

Thank you for taking the trouble to answer in the way you did - I appreciate it.

Will I get notified of newer versions automatically?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 01:00:18 AM »
Hi Mac,

Thank you for taking the trouble to answer in the way you did - I appreciate it.

Currently you will have to re-install avast for Mac for each version upgrade. There will be a post on the forum when the new version is released. But the next version is supposed to include incremental Updates similar to the windows version. In which case program updates should be able to be handled form within the program, just like the windows version  :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 01:02:37 AM by .: Mac :. »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 11:51:39 AM »
Hi Mac,

Yes, the present version of Avast will start to show an alert-window in such "new version released" case. And since this moment the updates will be done in incremental manner (both virus database and engine, both without need for reboot or even closing the gui :)

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

keithhmh

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 11:38:37 AM »
I just got back from hols to find email scan notification. As soon as I tried to follow it up the system threw me off saying my license has expired. It has the instal date down as 10.12.2007 (I hadn't even bought my Mac then).I actually installed on 8 Jun. I am running my paid for AVG 8 Internet Security under Parallels - is that confusing things or is the Mac free trial version no longer available and been turned off somehow.

I am happy to pay for my system protection but I am a little reluctant to do so yet having seen the error no's 13 et al still showing when I went away

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 08:00:08 PM »
I just got back from hols to find email scan notification. As soon as I tried to follow it up the system threw me off saying my license has expired. It has the instal date down as 10.12.2007 (I hadn't even bought my Mac then).I actually installed on 8 Jun. I am running my paid for AVG 8 Internet Security under Parallels - is that confusing things or is the Mac free trial version no longer available and been turned off somehow.

I am happy to pay for my system protection but I am a little reluctant to do so yet having seen the error no's 13 et al still showing when I went away

yes, the installation date is not correct (= taken from wrong stat's struct member), but this flaw is quite benign - it works as it should (= 60 days after installation, the demo mode expires). in the fact, the licensing stuff is handled by the scanning daemon itself, the gui's info is only an additional information.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)