Author Topic: Another double scanning question... with Pocomail  (Read 5975 times)

saoir

Another double scanning question... with Pocomail
« on: April 02, 2004, 11:44:01 AM »
Sorry folks but this is the only place I can ask this after getting no ideas on the Pocomail Forum :)

Setup: Win2kpro: Pocomail 3.0.3.1740 + Avasti + K9 + Sygate Personal Firewall.

All works fine - if slow - but nothing unusual there(pocomail is the slow one I believe). I don't get a lot of very large attachments so I may not have noticed this before....

Three time this week a client has had cause to send me large attached files. 2-5 megabytes. I have had great difficulty retreiving them.... because of long time outs once they were downloaded. I am on DSL, no network.

Today I monitored what was going on with Ostat graphical bandwith monitor and FILEMONITOR and FreeRAM.

The mail was checked and collected... it got to the email in question and I watched Ostat as the attachment (5Mb) all downloaded fine. Then nothing.
I started FILEMONITOR and FreeRAM to monitor activity. The processor went to 100% and Pocomail and Sygate and Avasti were continuously operating.
The total time for all of this processing to finish before Pococomail reported on it's email collection was approx 220% the original total download time of the attachment in question... judging by the time/grap of Ostat. And this ties in with previous experience this week.
The problem is Pocomail seems always to timeout with the server during this time and doesn't make all those emails as collected.... so the next time I check the mail I get them all again including the attachment - so I have to go to the server and manually erase them.

Is this a known issue ? Any advice ? suggestions ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Another double scanning question... with Pocomail
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 03:17:22 AM »
Sorry, you said Pocomail's Forum did not give you any hope, you asked if this was a known issue... I did a search and tryed to help. Sorry again. I do not use Pomomail but sometimes my messages 'remain' in the server when download by Outlook Express. It's not an 'all-day' disaster but, sometimes... Big attachments... But I cannot figure out what happened. Anyway, as you are monitoring your system so closely, luck to find the answer.

Sorry for loosing your time with that links...  :'(
The best things in life are free.

saoir

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 04:22:48 PM »
Sorry, you said Pocomail's Forum did not give you any hope, you asked if this was a known issue... I did a search and tryed to help. Sorry again. I do not use Pomomail but sometimes my messages 'remain' in the server when download by Outlook Express. It's not an 'all-day' disaster but, sometimes... Big attachments... But I cannot figure out what happened. Anyway, as you are monitoring your system so closely, luck to find the answer.

Sorry for loosing your time with that links...  :'(
I do appreciate you efforts :)

The issue here is that it is clearly not a Pocomail issue alone.. It has something to do with Avasti and perhaps also K9 but I cannot be the only person who has experienced this ?  People must be getting large attachments and also experiencing this double or treble scanning.... I cannot distinguish in my monitoring whether it is Avasti or K9 that is doing it or how to stop it...
And K9 doesn't have a forum.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 05:37:28 AM »
I do appreciate you efforts :)

We are here for it  ;)

The issue here is that it is clearly not a Pocomail issue alone.. It has something to do with Avasti and perhaps also K9 but I cannot be the only person who has experienced this ?  People must be getting large attachments and also experiencing this double or treble scanning.... I cannot distinguish in my monitoring whether it is Avast or K9 that is doing it or how to stop it...
And K9 doesn't have a forum.

I have 'double' scanning with avast and Spamihilator and everything works fine. I downloaded K9 but I do not install it and, like you said, there is not a forum for it.  :'(

saoir

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 04:03:15 PM »
I have 'double' scanning with avast and Spamihilator and everything works fine. I downloaded K9 but I do not install it and, like you said, there is not a forum for it.  :'(
What do you mean by fine ?

Is a 5 Mb attachment scanned twice or three times ?  taking the same time for each scan ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 06:37:27 AM »
What do you mean by fine ?
Is a 5 Mb attachment scanned twice or three times ?  taking the same time for each scan ?

No, avast will take the time needed to scan the attach... We cannot by-pass this or we will be unprotected.

The Spamihilator will one 'decide' if the email is or isn't a spam one and act accordingly. It will take one second  ;D

Culpeper

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 04:35:18 AM »
The only way to narrow this down is to load up pocomail without all the extras and one step at a time add another layer such as Avast and so forth until you get to the bottle neck.  You know, I experimented with pocomail with Avast and Spampal and I don't recall anything remarkable other than it seemed to work okay.  Even with a dial up modem you shouldn't be experiencing these difficulties.  At least with a modem you can increase your timeout period but since you are on DSL and it appears you are getting dial up email download times increasing timeout periods would be self defeating.

Have Avast set to "show detailed info on performed action" in the Advanced section of the internet email provider so you can see Avast scanning incoming mail.  I don't remember if Avast scans headers and then the body in pocomail.  If so you will see two scans from Avast for each incoming message.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 04:38:43 AM by Culpeper »