Author Topic: No VRDB Icon In System Tray  (Read 13293 times)

Bullet

No VRDB Icon In System Tray
« on: June 23, 2008, 09:37:45 AM »
I installed Avast! Home Edition yesterday (I have used Avast! before) and i realised there is no VRDB icon in system tray. I thought that it might have merged with the main icon but when i right click the main icon there isnt any options for VRDB. I tried reinstalling the software but that didnt help either.

Heres a screenshot:

As you can see there is no VRDB icon and no options for it in the main icons context menu!
I am running Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 09:40:17 AM by Bullet »

rassel

Re: No VRDB Icon In System Tray
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »
What about a repair? Maybe repair can help?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 04:52:22 PM »
Which avast version are you installing? See "About avast!..." dialog.
The best things in life are free.

Bullet

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 05:52:02 AM »
Avast 4.8 Home

And how do i repair?

Bullet

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 08:13:45 AM »
Ok nvm guys because when i started up my PC again it now seems to be in the system tray, and set to generate when screensaver is on. I dont know why it didnt start earlier.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 04:56:29 PM »
And how do i repair?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

Ok nvm guys because when i started up my PC again it now seems to be in the system tray, and set to generate when screensaver is on. I dont know why it didnt start earlier.
Because it's not being generated automatically on Vista... :'(

chm1chm1

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 08:48:24 AM »
Hello.  I installed the Home Edition over the weekend.  My VRDB icon (the spinning "i" icon) disappeared within several hours of installation.  I followed the recommended direction, i.e. Control Panel / Add Remove Programs / Avast / Remove / Repair .  The icon didn't appear, so I restarted the PC, but still no icon.  I repeated the Repair operation again, but there still isn't any trace of the icon in my system tray.  Any other suggestions on how to restore the icon?  Thanks!

rassel

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 10:26:42 AM »
Hello.  I installed the Home Edition over the weekend.  My VRDB icon (the spinning "i" icon) disappeared within several hours of installation.  I followed the recommended direction, i.e. Control Panel / Add Remove Programs / Avast / Remove / Repair .  The icon didn't appear, so I restarted the PC, but still no icon.  I repeated the Repair operation again, but there still isn't any trace of the icon in my system tray.  Any other suggestions on how to restore the icon?  Thanks!

Are you using window vista or xp?

chm1chm1

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 04:29:27 PM »
I use Wndows XP.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 04:49:15 PM »
Any other suggestions on how to restore the icon?  Thanks!
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14356.msg121337#msg121337
Check your avast4.ini file settings. Click 'Settings' in my signature and browse for the VRDB section.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg10271#msg10271
[VRDB]
MergeIcons=0
Disabled=0
ShowTaskbarIcon=1

chm1chm1

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 05:12:54 AM »
Pardon my ignorance as a newbie, but where are "my signature" and the "avast4.ini" file settings?  I can't find either of them in the menu for the Avast control panel.  I see "Settings" in the control panel, but no signature or avast4.ini file.  Thanks for your help.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 06:13:49 AM »
Pardon my ignorance as a newbie, but where are "my signature" and the "avast4.ini" file settings?  I can't find either of them in the menu for the Avast control panel.  I see "Settings" in the control panel, but no signature or avast4.ini file.  Thanks for your help.

I believe by his reference to --- "my signature," Tech meant for you to look in HIS Signature ... at the bottom of his Post.  There is a little "Settings" link there at the bottom of his Post.  At least that's what I'm understanding.

Once you click on the little "Settings" link in Tech's Post's Signature, scroll all the way to the Bottom and Click on Page 2.  That's where I am seeing the section on the VRDB starts to which Tech is referring.  If I am wrong ... well, Tech will correct me later.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 06:21:53 AM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 06:18:10 AM »
"avast4.ini" file settings
Avast ini file default install location C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA

Avast Forum ini File Values  as in Tech's signature

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 06:32:10 AM by tednelly »
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

chm1chm1

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 07:20:30 AM »
Thanks for the guidance.  I followed all suggestions, but I'm not given an option to replace the modified avast4.ini file .  The most I can do is save it in another site, such as My Documents.  I'm also given a warning that the changes might disable avast! real-time protection.

Tech, is it OK to disregard the warning, despite the potential consequences?  Where do I go from here to reinstate the VRDB icon?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 02:25:05 PM »
Thanks for the guidance.  I followed all suggestions, but I'm not given an option to replace the modified avast4.ini file.
Temporarily disable the avast self defense module:
1. Right click the 'a' blue icon on system tray.
2. Programs settings > Troubleshooting (tab)
3. Disable self defense module

Tech, is it OK to disregard the warning, despite the potential consequences?  Where do I go from here to reinstate the VRDB icon?  Thanks in advance for your help.
If you just change/add the proper avast4.ini file entry, yes. See the first link on that thread to know more about editing this file.

You can always do an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.